Windows 7 Mouse causes 60% Cpu increase

SteelForce5

Hi, my g5 laser mouse on windows 7 causes a massive cpu spike. As a side note, when I click and drag, it can cause full usage of cpu.

Also, although I can play videos, after some time, my computer can only hear sound from youtube videos, and not see visuals.

I recently installed from windows 32 bit vista, where I did not have this issue. I installed all recent updates, and used system file checker to verify the system files.

The video card driver was installed at the beginning.

Also, It has been this way from the start, a few days ago.

Thank you for your help

See if you can get a new mouse driver... Or plug it into another port.

If not that, can you tell from Task Manager what might be using the CPU with more info that just the mouse?

I have one more possibly suggestion, but will wait until you get back.

Is there a good location to acquire an adaquate laser mouse driver? I tried logitec set point program, but it does not seem to change the issue. I also tried plugging it into other usb ports.
I have several other usb mice which I tried that also gave similar results, but when i converted one to a ps2 converter, it no longer caused lag spikes
In Resource Monitor>, I am only told "System Interupts" as the cause of the cpu usage. =Description- Deferred Procedure Calls and Interrupt Service Routines. I think this is just how the os deals with mouse inputs. My ps2 converted mouse also causes interrupts, but it does not go above ~8%
While the mouse was still usb, it created heavy cpu usage though, just as the g5 laser mouse does. I tried putting the g5 laser mouse into the ps2 but it does not work, even after i tried to use the logitec set point program to install the ps2 driver for the g5 mouse.

oh, and i was trying to delete the old driver but it did not seem to give the option

Last edited:
When you say "I recently installed from windows 32 bit vista," are you saying you upgraded from vista to 7, or are you just talking about the mouse?

Generally an upgrade install is a virtual time bomb waiting to happen (incompatible drivers etc.). A clean install is the way to go (even if you only have an upgrade disc, it is possible).

Looks like you have a lot of deferred procedure calls. Run Link Removed due to 404 Error - if you have a lot of red spikes, read the explanation. It may tell you the cause. The mouse driver being the culprit is a good guess.

Note: I did not put this "driver" link in. The forum seems to do that automatically - what a pain.

Note: I did not put this "driver" link in. The forum seems to do that automatically - what a pain.
Had the same with "Driver Sweeper" links being broken/re-directed to "Driver" Sweeper. Soon as I re-named by removing the space to make it "DriverSweeper" links worked again.
I had a few days of wondering what the OP was on about! Link to Phyxion worked for me! Hey Ho!!

The forum should not alter our postings automatically. The OPs may think that we are part of it. It is already enough that we get showered with all those useless ads. I am going to watch it a little longer. If that does not change, I can always quit.

Hi, I am running DPC latency checker and have 4 milliseconds, lol, I just moved my mouse -usb mouse-, and it went off the charts past 16 milliseconds. moving my ps2 mouse does not increase the height of spikes, but now as i type i see that typing also increases this spike to near the top.

.. I am wondering if it is safe to disable all of the devices in device manager.

by the way, i tested my mouse on another computer running windows 7 with default driver from 2006, and it worked fine, but when i ran it on my computer with the default driver from 2006, it did not work well, creating massive lag, and causes video and audio to drop data and stutter. So my mouse+driver works, but my computer is not functioning correctly it seems.

Last edited:
driver driver driver driver driver driver driver driver driver driver driver driver

lol i saw now there is readings for if graphs are off the charts, and it is 170000us=170ms when i move my mouse a lot, and hah i see there is a maximum and it reads 272853 us

MAAAANNNNNNN i got a fast hand, 1936242us=1.936 seconds = my new record
I had forgotten i had disabled my mouse in device manager when i was moving it before. For some reason it still created a spike before.

But anyways, what do I do now?

Last edited:
If your mouse is causing such usage, the best place for a driver would be Logitech. But it sounds like it may be something more along a USB driver or some other action that is watching the mouse or in some way causing the increase.

Have you ever loaded any chipset drivers for your system? You haven't really told us much about your system. How old is it? Let us know the model and maybe we can track down some drivers.

In the Control Panel Trouble shooter, there is a "Check for performance issues" option. Maybe if you run that and move the mouse it will find something other than what you already see.

You can run msinfo32.exe and check if anything is showing under the Problem Devices section.

Saltgrass is right. You most likely have a driver problem somewhere. What did the Latency Checker say. They usually give you hints what might be causing the problem.

Back