Windows 10 Mouse Freezes but not anything else (Computer does not freeze)

FrostDrive

Starting months ago, this would happen very infrequently.
But now it's to the point that I want to burn my computer to ash.

The mouse will freeze for 4 seconds avg. But nothing else will freeze.

I know this because, say I'm playing a video game. My mouse will freeze, but I can still walk around. (also with no noticeable change in fps)

This happens on every mouse I try.

I've tried uninstalling mouse drivers. my mouse driver is up to date.

I do have my mouse hooked up to a USB extender because no mouses original cord is long enough for my desk setup.
Could this be the cause?
I don't think it is. I had this hooked up for months before the freezing ever started happening.

My mouse froze for 8 seconds just while typing this post. Please help me.

Hi,
you could try using the mouse without the extender (I know it won't reach but try anyway, will it reach a mouse mat placed on the floor or nearer surface? Your only trying to see if the freezing stops without the extender so worth a try?

Failing that try a different usb port.

Sorry I meant to ask, which mouse is it? Make and model please.

Starting months ago, this would happen very infrequently.
But now it's to the point that I want to burn my computer to ash.

The mouse will freeze for 4 seconds avg. But nothing else will freeze.

I know this because, say I'm playing a video game. My mouse will freeze, but I can still walk around. (also with no noticeable change in fps)

This happens on every mouse I try.

I've tried uninstalling mouse drivers. my mouse driver is up to date.

I do have my mouse hooked up to a USB extender because no mouses original cord is long enough for my desk setup.
Could this be the cause?
I don't think it is. I had this hooked up for months before the freezing ever started happening.

My mouse froze for 8 seconds just while typing this post. Please help me.
If you must deal with this madness of long cables and truly can't stand it, and perhaps only use the computer for work purposes, I would highly recommend just getting the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S (THIS IS NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT OR SPAM). The battery life is tremendous and it really does the job quite well, especially on laptops or in a situation whereas you would not normally be able to connect a wired mouse. It is very rare I would suggest such a thing only because I have never truly liked wireless anything, including headphones, but the battery life has indeed gotten much better. This would be a bluetooth connected device either with the Logitech USB plug (that comes with the mouse) or any built-in or seperate Bluetooth adapter.

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately I tried not using an extender, using a different USB port etc.

But it still freezes.
The more programs I'm running simutaneously the more it happens too.
But it still happens even with one running, or nothing!

Any mouse will have the same results too. Tried 3 different ones now.

You could try updating (if available) your chipset/USB drivers

Also have you checked your Device manager, any yellow marks?

If your unsure which drivers to get post the make and model of laptop or motherboard. We'll find them for you.

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately I tried not using an extender, using a different USB port etc.

But it still freezes.
The more programs I'm running simutaneously the more it happens too.
But it still happens even with one running, or nothing!

Any mouse will have the same results too. Tried 3 different ones now.

More programs, more happens? It is strange. Did you checked the updates? I think you can do these things.

1. Check for updates. Go to here: Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates. Sometimes, updates the system will help to fix most problems.

2. Go to the mouse settings to set all the mouse properties to the default and then reset it as your prefer. If you are using the laptop, try to disable the TouchPad temporary.

3. Did there are more devices plugged into your computer? If yes, plugged out all of them, and only use the USB mouse to test.

4. Sometimes people record that, other drivers such as realtk hd audio driver and its program may cause the mouse cursors freeze, so you can try to disable the audio driver temporary. I get it from here: Fix Mouse Lags or Freezes in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Skills

5. Run the hardware troubleshooter.

Wish these helps.

Back