Windows 7 Moving bulk folders up into their parent folders

Hi all, I'm trying to combine my music collection into a single folder on my hard drive, which I've named "Music". The problem I am facing is that over the years I have used a variety of different music players and their associated music storage systems. This has resulted in music being saved in two ways. I have some folders labeled by artists name containing sub-folders labeled with their album names and other folders labeled with just the album name. What I'm aiming for is having all my music in folders labeled with just the album name.

I can open each folder and drag and drop the sub folder into the folder named "Music" but that will take forever as there are about six thousand of these sub-folders (a good many of which are doubles anyway). If there is some easy way I can gather up all the sub folders and drop them into the "music" folder together in one go it would save an enormous amount of time and frustration.

The only solution I have found so far, is to *.xxx, then select all the files from the sub-folders. But what I need to do is move a large group of sub-folders up one level so they are in the "music" folder with their parent folder. (even though this would make the parent folder empty - a problem I can deal with) I don't want have to take the files out of the sub-folders, just move all the sub-folders up one level.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information I can provide it. Thanks heaps, Richard

Last edited:
You could use powershell. This example. New Folder is the parent folder containing some sub folders. In these sub foldesr are all the folders needing to be moved up a level.

Code:
$rootFolder = 'C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\New folder'

$subFolders = dir $rootFolder
ForEach ($dir In $subFolders)
{
    $moveup = dir $dir.FullName
    ForEach($d In $moveup)
    {
        Move-Item -Path $d.FullName -Destination $rootFolder

}
}

Back