Windows 7 Moving old HDD with Windows 7 to new PC with Windows 8.1

clankfu

I'm building a new rig and planning to install Windows 8.1 on an SSD as the boot drive. I'd like to move over my HDD with Windows 7 boot from my old machine to the new PC to use as a storage drive.

Do I have to format the HDD in my old machine first or can I just install it to my new rig as is and format it there? And is there anyway to wipe out the Windows 7 boot on the HDD without erasing any of the data (pics, documents, videos)?

Last edited:
Hello, it has been awhile since you posted this, but you should go ahead and format the drive on your new system after you have done a clean install of Windows 8. Windows should recognize the drive once you get Windows 8 started. You can manage the disks and partitions that are on your system with "diskmgmt.msc" or Disk Management.

Hello, it has been awhile since you posted this, but you should go ahead and format the drive on your new system after you have done a clean install of Windows 8. Windows should recognize the drive once you get Windows 8 started. You can manage the disks and partitions that are on your system with "diskmgmt.msc" or Disk Management.

Thank you.

I have one more question if you don't mind. If I'm using an SSD as the boot drive and the HDD as a secondary storage drive, should I format both to GPT or should I format the boot SSD to MBR and only the HDD to GPT?

Only if you're using UFEI BIOS, otherwise use MBR. For instance, if the original on the secondary is MBR there is no reason not to use MBR.

Only if you're using UFEI BIOS, otherwise use MBR. For instance, if the original on the secondary is MBR there is no reason not to use MBR.

I'll be using an Asus Z97 mobo so that utilizes UEFI and I should format to GPT for both drives right?

Back
Top Bottom