Moving Windows 8 Upgrade to new PC

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Installation' started by Razza12003, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Razza12003

Razza12003 New Member

I have a PC which was running (legit) from a disk Win7 and I have since upgraded it to Win8 but now I am building a new pc and I am wondering can install my upgrade version of Win8 on my new build (I will not use it on my old pc anymore) I still have my Win7 disk if that helps!? Or will I have to buy an OEM copy of Win8?

2. Drew

Drew Banned

OK, let's leave the old PC out of the equation...

Build the new PC. Install Windows 7 in it, then, immediately, use your Win8 Upgrade disc & take 7 to 8. Simple as that... you may have to phone in to Activate but, no matter, you'll be fine.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.

3. Medico

Medico Senior Member

The old PC must be taken out of service. You cannot use both.

I would also recommend a Custom (Clean) install from Win 7 to Win 8 to get the most pristine installation.

4. Drew

Drew Banned

I'm sorry, I took it that that was a given... stopping using 1 machine & moving to another... not both, still, running. You can only install 1 license into 1 machine @ a time, of course.

If the Upgrade disc will allow a Custom Install. But, certainly, tell the Win8 install to keep nothing but, save the Win7 data 1st.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.

5. whs

whs Extraordinary Member

I solved the problem by installing the Windows 8 upgrade on an external disk running under VMware. Now I can attach that system via USB to any of my PCs and it will run without problems - and it runs very well. Example.