Windows 7 MS Wireless Mouse 5000 causes FSX to fail

alexberry

I have just upgraded my mouse from a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 to a MS Wireless Mouse 5000.

However, when I start my favourite application (Flight Simulator X), it fails to load properly, and produces a non-specific application error. Looking at the Event Viewer in Admin Tools suggests the problem lies with HID.DLL :
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.60905.0, time stamp: 0x44fd0a92
Faulting module name: HID.DLL, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd9ec
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001a3b
Faulting process id: 0x328
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb5aa29bb562bc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\HID.DLL
Report Id: db6b1bbd-c695-11df-af62-20cf30897e90
If I swap my mouse back to the old Intellimouse Explorer, the application loads fine.

To try to get the mouse 5000 to work with FSX, I have changed the 'connected device' in the Mouse/Buttons tab to the Intellimouse Explorer. But this hasn't worked. I have also tried the latest drivers etc...

Any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue, short of abonding my new mouse, would be really great.

Many thanks,

Alex Berry

(Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit; Intel i5-760, Asus P7P55D-E LX, 4Gb DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5550 512Mb GDDR3)

Last edited:
Simple: There's an access violation.

Uninstall the software and driver completely. Reboot and run Ccleaner to clean the registry.

Then install the latest driver from MS' site.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll give it another go when I get home later, otherwise I might have to cross over to Logitech for a change and maybe even abandon the whole wireless mouse and go back to the good-ol' wired mouse.

TorrentG, you mention CCleaner to clean to registry. I already have TuneUp Utilities 2010, which includes a registry cleaner. Will this do, or does CCleaner hold a particular advantage?

Would it be worth trying the 32-bit version of Intellipoint 8.0 on my 64-bit Win7 system? (Would the 32-bit version even work; I don't know..?)

Thanks,

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. Latest drivers, everything.

So, I attached a new Logitech (M305) mouse to the PC. Once again, the same problem occurred; FSX fails to start with an error in HID.dll.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem can't lie with the mice, but it must be something with my Windows installation. HID.dll is a windows file.

So, I'm going for the complete format and reinstall of Windows 7 approach... Bye for now...

Alex.

Back
Top Bottom