Windows 7 Multihomed networking woes

mvansickler

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. I have a multihomed PC. One NIC is connected to the internet and has a static IP and a default gateway. The second NIC is connected to my isolated (read: no Internet connectivity) home network with a static IP and no default gateway. Windows 7 sees this second NIC as an unidentified network and will not allow me to set it to the Home or Work profile so I can share things. I understand that this is because the NIC doesn't have a default gateway, but as everyone knows you can't have two default gateways on a single host. Please tell me how to get this incredibly simple setup working. I've spent 2 hours combing this forum and Google to no avail. I understand that the Windows 7 networking management is dumbed down from XP but this is a little ridiculous. Where is the "I know what I'm doing" switch for Windows 7 networking?!?!

Thanks,

Matt

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. I have a multihomed PC. One NIC is connected to the internet and has a static IP and a default gateway. The second NIC is connected to my isolated (read: no Internet connectivity) home network with a static IP and no default gateway. Windows 7 sees this second NIC as an unidentified network and will not allow me to set it to the Home or Work profile so I can share things. I understand that this is because the NIC doesn't have a default gateway, but as everyone knows you can't have two default gateways on a single host. Please tell me how to get this incredibly simple setup working. I've spent 2 hours combing this forum and Google to no avail. I understand that the Windows 7 networking management is dumbed down from XP but this is a little ridiculous. Where is the "I know what I'm doing" switch for Windows 7 networking?!?!

Thanks,

Matt

I am having the exact same issue and cannot find any solution for this. Anyone out there know what to do?

Thanks,
Dave

I have the same problem

Windows 7 sees this second NIC as an unidentified network
And i have no internet connection

When i turn the network card of and on

The i have one network connection and internet
But when i restart the problem i have the problem again en must turn of the network card again ?

I'm having the exact same problem too. Running 7 on 3 computers. Both 32bit comps work fine with no networking issues. The 64bit comp NIC has an unidentified network and same thing.... no internet connection when I turn it on. If I disable the NIC and re-enable it it connects to the internet. Now I see I'm not the only one with this issue.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks,

Dan

Back
Top Bottom