Windows 7 multiple monitor setup, windows keep going to the main screen

gotyilk

Hello,

I have a 3 monitor setup with extended displays. However, when I change windows by using the TaskBar to a window that is not on my main display, it periodically repositions the window to whatever the main display is set at (changes screens). I've tried changing which monitor is the main display, but all the windows basically reset to the designated main display.

Is there a way to disable this behavior? I don't notice see occurring in other multiple monitor setups. I couldn't find anything through searching online as all search results came back with move desktop icons.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks,
Young

This could be a driver issues so I would make sure your graphics drivers are all up to date. That said, while Windows (XP and newer) supports (for the most part) multi-monitors, not all programs do. And even the latest operating systems sometimes have little issues, and seem to get confused occasionally as to which monitor is primary and which is secondary. So a multi-monitor utility is almost a necessity. My favorite is UltraMon – not free, but worth it. Others have suggested the free DisplayFusion, but I have no experience with it.

This could be a driver issues so I would make sure your graphics drivers are all up to date. That said, while Windows (XP and newer) supports (for the most part) multi-monitors, not all programs do. And even the latest operating systems sometimes have little issues, and seem to get confused occasionally as to which monitor is primary and which is secondary. So a multi-monitor utility is almost a necessity. My favorite is UltraMon – not free, but worth it. Others have suggested the free DisplayFusion, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for replying, but I have the latest drivers for my laptop. I just received this laptop last month at work and this behavior is occurring with all applications as it's not isolated to specific programs. This happens regardless of whether the windows is maximized or not. I've never used/needed a monitor utility to drive multiple display setup (I have 3 other setups at home) - is this necessary as you suggest?

Thanks again for your input.

- is this necessary as you suggest?
Necessary? Probably not but I have found with UltraMon, I don't have problems with primary and secondary monitors switching roles.

You are running 3 monitors with a notebook? What is the brand and model number please?

Necessary? Probably not but I have found with UltraMon, I don't have problems with primary and secondary monitors switching roles.

You are running 3 monitors with a notebook? What is the brand and model number please?

I am using a Lenovo W530. One of the displays is the laptop itself.

Just to be clear, my monitors aren't switching roles, but that every time I change between windows applications it restores that window to the main display (coming from either non-main screen).

So to confirm, you are using 3 monitors, the notebook monitor, and two external monitors.

What do you mean by "change between Windows applications"?

I note on page 37 of your manual, it says,
When an application using DirectDraw or Direct3D is played in full-screen mode, it is shown only on the
primary display.

Note too one of the great things a multi-monitor program does is put a taskbar on the extra monitors so, for example, if I minimize a Word document on Monitor 2, it's icon will minimize to the taskbar on Monitor 2 and when I maximize it again, it maximizes on Monitor 2.

So to confirm, you are using 3 monitors, the notebook monitor, and two external monitors.

This is correct. I have it oriented from my laptop on the left, then 2 monitors to the the right. I have sent the middle screen as my "Main Display" through Windows desktop settings.

What do you mean by "change between Windows applications"?

Here is an example. I have a Notepad.exe application originally opened on Monitor #2. I navigate to another Window application - let's say Word.exe (doesn't matter which display this is on.) When I then select the Notepad application from the task bar, the whole notepad application now restores to Monitor #1 (my main display). This occurs whether or not an application is maximized or smaller within a window outsides of my main display. I have tried changing the main display to a different screen and each application restores back to the main display screen (and not where it originally was located).

Let me know if this makes sense the way I explained it.

Note too one of the great things a multi-monitor program does is put a taskbar on the extra monitors so, for example, if I minimize a Word document on Monitor 2, it's icon will minimize to the taskbar on Monitor 2 and when I maximize it again, it maximizes on Monitor 2.

I'd rather keep to a single taskbar on one monitor if possible as that's what I'm used to.

Okay - that is what I thought you meant. Assuming all your drivers are up to date, I still think you might benefit from Ultramon or DisplayFusion. Sadly, notebook makers deviate from standards too much with proprietary components and configurations, and driver branding. For that reason, a multimonitor utility may be what you need. Ultramon, BTW, has a 30-day trial period. And with Ultramon you can disable it's "Smartbar" feature and use just one taskbar. I, for one like having a taskbar for each monitor. I suspect DisplayFusion is quite flexible too.

Back