Need HD storage (pc games) opinions

Axel PC

Honorable Member
I have 2 HDs:
1. 512 GB M.2 SSD NGFF 2280 SATA (don't know brand name)
2. 2 TB Seagate BarraCuda 2.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 128MB Cache for PC Laptop (ST2000LM015)

I originally got the 2 TB HD as a backup for my photos, documents, and downloads from my 512 GB main HD. Now I use OneDrive as my main backup solution. I've been downloading a lot of games lately with being forced to work from home and all the great sales all the game companies have been having and I'm quickly running out of space on my 512GB main HD.

My questions are what's the best way to move my games to my 2 TB HD? Or should I just start installing any new games on it and leave my current ones on my main? My games are from Steam, GoG, Blizzard and the Microsoft Store. So, I should be able to just uninstall them all and reinstall everything on my 2nd HD and all my progress should download from those services, right? This I'm not so sure about. And am I going to see a major performance hit because they'll be running of a spinning drive vs the M.2 drive?

Thanks!

Most should have an option to move the location.

For Steam go to Settings > Downloads > Library Folders and add a new folder
Then right click each game and go to properties > Local Files and then move folder

Blizzard I think you can just change the download location in the launcher and then just copy all the game folders over

Ok thanks I'll check for that.

What about game performance. Do you think the games will take significantly longer to start up and load in the game?

It will likely be slower, but the data should be stored together so it shouldn't be that much slower.

Is there way to choose a different path to install games (any apps) form the Microsoft Store?

Back