Windows 8 need help: how to control people sign in to my windows 8.1 with microsoft account

cmleow

Hello to all,
Can any guru here teach me how to stop someone from sign in to my win 8.1.

1. Can someone just sign in with their own microsoft account without approval?
2. Can someone just sign up a new microsoft account at the login screen and get into win 8.1 without approval?

thank you and have a good day.

CM

hi, ussnorway,
can i stop them from login to my win 8.1 without authorisation from admin? how?

thank you.

CM

No… not on a standalone machine. If the system is connected to a server (domain, proxy or hw-firewall) then you can restrict access to the internet which may be enough to solve your problem but even then there are work-a-rounds that skilled people can take advantage of… if you want precise advice then we need more details:
1. Why is it a problem if people can log into their roaming profile from your machine?
2. What kind of network setup have you got… i.e a home laptop and router or a business with 10 machines connected to an 08 server and sitting behind a firewall?
3. How many different people may legitimately be using this machine on any given day?

Hi Cmleow,
I opened a Microsoft account on my Asus Transformer (Windows 8.1) and was horrified to find that my user login password had been changed to that for the Microsoft Account. I telephoned to complain and found myself talking to a Microsoft support person who seemed at least one sandwich short of a picnic and couldn't understand my concern. He asked useless questions such as "how many people know your Microsoft Account login details?". I had only just set up the account for goodness sake.

Even worse, when I closed the account I discovered that Microsoft in its arrogance keeps the account on hold for 60 days in a semi-dormant state in case I want to reopen it. When I start the PC and click on the start icon for mail I get an error message that there is a problem with my account and inviting me to "fix it". Of course I know how to open gmail directly so it's not a serious problem but I resent Microsoft hi-jacking one of my computers in this manner.

Yes you can block people from logging in with local accounts and Microsoft accounts.
  • Open Control Panel
  • Administrative Tools
  • Local Security Policy
  • Expand Local Policies
  • To disable all Microsoft accounts > Security Options
    • Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts. (You can block the creation of them or creation and login)
  • To block Local logins go to Local Policies > User Rights Assignments
    • Add accounts or groups to Deny log on locally
    • BE WARNED, do not add an account or a group that you belong to as you will no longer be able to login
  • To block remote logins (This is for accessing the computer file shares \\<computername\C$
    • Add accounts or groups to Deny access to this computer from the network
    • BE WARNED, do not add an account or a group that you belong to as you will no longer be able to login

Back