Windows 7 Need help with file associations

Ditendra

Hello, I have this problem:
Recently I switched to new browser "Yandex", and I really like it. It's faster the Chrome and has everything I need, however I have one little problem: It makes itself as default program for some file associations, for example: PNG, PSD, PDF, FLV & etc... And I don't want Yandex browser for these types of files. I tried lots of things, but nothing helps. I went to "Default Programs" in Windows, made some changes there, but whenever I restart my PC, Yandex browser still is owning of all these types of files. I don't know what to do...
Screenshot_1.png

You probably need to go into the browser settings and tell it not to own these file types provided that's possible.

Then you may need to consult their website, I'd imagine other people have the same issue. I have never used that browser, so I wouldn't be able to help much with that.

Hi,
I hadn't heard of this browser either; it's Russian based, and has generally safe ratings. Been out for 4 years or so. Personally, I am very careful of any browsers developed overseas and take extra precautions before using. It's a good idea to stick with you original browser and install this Yandex on a 2nd computer and test it for awhile before you switch over to it whole hog. :nerves:

Also, hope you made a System Restore point prior to installing. You should know that a lot of foreign coded apps such as this bypass the generation of an automatic restore point during the installation program to make the program install size minimalistic. Doing this relies on the fact that your machine has System Restore enabled and running. Most Win7 machines have this feature (System Restore) disabled by default, as that's how Microsoft has it setup unless an OEM computer maker such as Dell or HP changes that in their SLI image. That means that if your Yandex didn't make a System Restore point during the install and you've never enabled System Restore--it's not going to have rollback capability.:zoned: And this means you are vulnerable to whatever bugs or problems this new browser presents,:headache: unless you have good backups, preferably folder/volume backups to external media (external HDD, flash drive, DVD discs), even better Image backups such as Macrium, Acronis, EASETodo. Most browsers, especially IE11 and Edge (both from Microsoft) are integrated into the Windows OS kernel; this means that when they get scrambled by a badly behaving or poorly coded program, Windows gets scrambled as well and repairs are problematic and generally require professional help to fix. :waah:

I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but there are a number of Red Flags that Users should be looking for when installing a new program such as a new browser that can have catastrophic effect on your Windows if not properly designed. One of those Red Flags is the System Restore during installation. Did your Yandex set a System Restore point for you, or tell you it was doing so, or ask you permission to do so? If not, that's a big enough Red Flag to keep me from using that on any of my production machines (daily use).

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Uhm, to be honest I don't remember if it set or asked anything about system restore. If I delete that browser, I'll fix file association problem, but I don't wanna delete it.

i tried yandex-browser (14.10.2062.12544 beta) back in 2014 … almost 100mb download back then. because the browser utilized background images for themes … the browser was bit slow. once the images had downloaded … the speed was typical with other browsers (firefox, chrome, etc). i did not keep yandex very long … in hindsight, was more of a novelty for myself … i preferred opera over yandex.

no malware or infection found during download/install. not sure if i can recall … once the browser had installed … it offered couple routine set-up configs … think file-ass's was one … and i chose not to allow yandex taking over the file-types. however … i have no screen-caps as corroboration. testing the "install" earlier this evening … seems they have changed (modus-operandi).

also, have not found any forum on yandex's behalf … but they do have helpful trouble-shooting within their website. supposedly, if client cannot find answer, they offer two options:
  • second option was utilizing a "contact us" web-page … seems it is not functioning. however, possible it revolves around their work-day … so timing may have been the issue: Contact us
  • first option … yandex instructs the client to open yandex-browser and click on the "option" button which is located top-right corner of browser window … proceed by navigating to "advanced" and "report an issue" options. pls consult with this page in due process: Technical support — Browser (classic interface) — Yandex.Support
lastly … there's another forum out there … a single thread which boasts 117 total posts (yandex related) … perhaps you can find something to sink your teeth into there:

Back