Windows 7 need help with partitions

skeldon

Hi all i need some help. I have 3 partitions on my drive 1 with windows 7 1 with my pics and all that shit and 1 spare.

The spare one is empty but comes up as system active primary partition.

I need to make it into a logical drive. How can i do this?

Is there any particular reason why you want to change it? I mean if your pc works fine the way it is why mess with something that works?.. ;)

Plus I'm pretty sure you CAN'T just convert a primary to a logical.. it just doesn't work that way (I could be wrong though.. now you've got me curious too.)

The best way I can think of right off the top of my head to do what your asking would be to create a backup of all your personal files.. than reinstall Windows 7.. during the installation process go into the ADVANCED settings and delete all the partitions on you HDD, then start fresh, create your main partition for Windows 7, followed by either one large DATA partition or 2 small data partition if you insist on having 3 partitions.. :) I think that will work for what your asking.. :)

You have to remember too that messing around with partitions using Disk Management can lead to data loss so make sure you create a backup before trying anything with them.. ;)

Could you post a screenshot of your HDD's partition configuration?

Last edited:
Hi all i need some help. I have 3 partitions on my drive 1 with windows 7 1 with my pics and all that shit and 1 spare.

The spare one is empty but comes up as system active primary partition.

I need to make it into a logical drive. How can i do this?

Just like Radenight said, I too couldn't think of a reason to make logical drives. But if you really want to go ahead you must first make an EXTENDED partition in the
The spare one is empty
and then create a logical drive within the container we call Extended partition like in FDISK.I doubt you can do that through the Diskpart Snap-in tool in Disk Management.
You have to use Diskpart.exe in Elevated Command prompt . You can find the syntax for availble commandline switches by typing "help" command like: Diskpart>HELP [ENTER]

Since there does not seem to be any great advantage by this change of partition from its status as a Primary Partition, I am not listing the step by step approach to the creation of a Logical drive unless you want me to post.
:)

Just like Radenight said, I too couldn't think of a reason to make logical drives. But if you really want to go ahead you must first make an EXTENDED partition in the and then create a logical drive within the container we call Extended partition like in FDISK.I doubt you can do that through the Diskpart Snap-in tool in Disk Management.
You have to use Diskpart.exe in Elevated Command prompt . You can find the syntax for availble commandline switches by typing "help" command like: Diskpart>HELP [ENTER]

Since there does not seem to be any great advantage by this change of partition from its status as a Primary Partition, I am not listing the step by step approach to the creation of a Logical drive unless you want me to post.
:)

Added to rep that was a great post :) cmm knowes his stuff .

I need to encript the whole partition i am going to use truecript but i dont wana do the primary partition but as that one and the operating system partition are both primary it wont let me do it without doing them both.

I need to encript the whole partition i am going to use truecript but i dont wana do the primary partition but as that one and the operating system partition are both primary it wont let me do it without doing them both.
Skeldon,

Thank you for your clarification.

Can you take it from here or you need any help?

Added to rep that was a great post :) cmm knowes his stuff .
Hi whoosh,
What is rep? Sorry to show my ignorance but that's the only way to learn. This is the second time from you. Last time when you posted that I thought it must be an abrreviation for some sort of Reprimand and I could not think of a reason for me getting a reprimand from the Forum as I did not break any rules and I did not hear from anyone either! But with your smiley, I am not concerned at all about whatever the matter is and I guess it is something good:D

Last edited:
Skeldon,

Thank you for your clarification.

Can you take it from here or you need any help?

Hi whoosh,
What is rep? Sorry to show my ignorance but that's the only way to learn. This is the second time from you. Last time when you posted that I thought it must be an abrreviation for some sort of Reprimand and I could not think of a reason for me getting a reprimand from the Forum as I did not break any rules and I did not hear from anyone either! But with your smiley, I am not concerned at all about whatever the matter is and I guess it is something good:D

Hi and yes :) The rep is adding to someones reputation on this forum . You click the heart shaped thing in the upper right
and get the chance to add or detract from someones reputation .
Easy now cowboy - only trying to help = meep!
Going to add to your rep show how your score increases .

Last edited:
Its ok i just encrypted my whole harddrive instead. The thought of having to type in a password everytime i restart the pc annoyed me lol but i only restart me pc once in a blue moon so there is no prob really.
Thank you for all your help tho lads.

Back