Windows 7 Network adaptor installed but not seen by W7

spider

(sorry I posted about this in the "hardware" forum earlier, should have put it here)

Realtek 8187b driver installed properly according to the installer, but in Device Manager it is seen as not working "unable to start."

Consequently the Network and Sharing Center does not see the device at all and reports nothing to connect to.

I tried troubleshooting and reinstalling, updating the driver, etc to no avail.

Any ideas?

(sorry I posted about this in the "hardware" forum earlier, should have put it here)

Realtek 8187b driver installed properly according to the installer, but in Device Manager it is seen as not working "unable to start."

Consequently the Network and Sharing Center does not see the device at all and reports nothing to connect to.

I tried troubleshooting and reinstalling, updating the driver, etc to no avail.

Any ideas?
The best i can come up with is wait until they release a windows 7 driver that works. Microsoft did make huge improvements in compatibility that VISTA did not have but there are still some weak points. Either find another way to access the internet or just go back to the other OS you were running is my suggestion.

The best i can come up with is wait until they release a windows 7 driver that works. Microsoft did make huge improvements in compatibility that VISTA did not have but there are still some weak points. Either find another way to access the internet or just go back to the other OS you were running is my suggestion.

I want to continue with beta testing of Windows 7. I'll wait for the drivers for my Realtek adaptor, but in the mean time there are other aspects of the OS to look at and put to the test, not the least of which is multimedia.

I have Windows 7 on its own hard drive which I swap out with my Vista Premium hard drive (and a few Linux distros as well ;)).

Try to do a manual install of the network adaptor.

If you don't know how, let me know and I will guide you...

Try to do a manual install of the network adaptor.

If you don't know how, let me know and I will guide you...

Great!

I have been trying to install via the Network and Sharing Center. That's all I know about. Are you referring to manual install of the Realtek driver itself?

If so, I'm listening. :)

First, open the device manager.
Search for the network adapter, maby it's a yellow exclamation mark, Expand on the + sign.
Right click on your adapter or whatever it says.. choose Properties ->Disable. Maby you have to reboot the computer now to make the change. Back to the device manager, network adapter, right click -> Properties -> Driver ->Update driver software.
Choose Browse my computer for driver software, Choose Let me pick from a list of a device drivers on my computer. Choose Network adapters, Choose Have disk, Now, browse to the location of the network adapter driver.
Ok to install the driver.
When the installation is complete, restart your computer to see if it worked.. :razz:

First, open the device manager.
Search for the network adapter, maby it's a yellow exclamation mark, Expand on the + sign.
Right click on your adapter or whatever it says.. choose Properties ->Disable. Maby you have to reboot the computer now to make the change. Back to the device manager, network adapter, right click -> Properties -> Driver ->Update driver software.
Choose Browse my computer for driver software, Choose Let me pick from a list of a device drivers on my computer. Choose Network adapters, Choose Have disk, Now, browse to the location of the network adapter driver.
Ok to install the driver.
When the installation is complete, restart your computer to see if it worked.. :razz:

Thanx (again). You may not have seen the new "Success!" thread I started. After your suggestion to get the driver from Toshiba I went ahead and figured out how to manually install it (the driver installer ran but did not successfully cause the system to see the adaptor).

All is working very well now. Thank you again.

It's always a good install to manually install drivers a lot of the install programs will hang and can cause all sorts of problems, but especially since this is beta software drivers need to be installed manually, because most of the drivers out currently will treat it as a vista install.:cool:

I have a total EVGA computors and when I update the drivers I goto EVGA abd download them and run them from the desktop direct and they always work. Windows 7 uses a 170.xx driver and it is a old one. I use the 185.20 driver and it speeds up windows quite a bit I also use the 15.x m/b drivers . Boath for Windows Vista 64 bit of corse.
Works for me.

Thomas

It's always a good install to manually install drivers a lot of the install programs will hang and can cause all sorts of problems, but especially since this is beta software drivers need to be installed manually, because most of the drivers out currently will treat it as a vista install.:cool:

Yes. Good advice.

Interestingly I went to "Windows Update" in the Control Panel and ran it. Among the updates was a Realtek Network Adaptor driver. I ran it along with the other updates, somewhat hesitantly for fear of borking my manual installation, and it successfully upgraded my adaptor driver.

Working well and fast.

I am so far impressed with Windows 7. Too bad it took a bit of work to get the network adaptor going, but this is a beta and I'm sure it'll be included in the final of Windows 7.

Hi
first i have to say that my english is not so good ;)

I have nearly the same problems.
Installation finished completely but the MAC (00.00.00.00.00) is not allowed.
When I change the MAC the adapter is working but i can't get any conection to my network.
W7 is running on a virtual PC but the normal realtec driver is used. (Its running on 2008 server, XP , Vista, and 2003 server)
Someboy having an idea?

Back