Windows 10 Network Diagnostic Information

Neemobeer

Cloud Security Engineer
Staff member
A simple batch file to collect network data to help troubleshoot your network issue.

• Download the attached zip
  • Extract the .bat file
  • Rightclick the Network_Information.bat and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Upload the network_information.txt
***Update 11/02/2017*** Added more DNS test queries

***Update 10/17/2017*** Added wlan filter dump

***Update*** Added proxy settings and more DNS tests

***Update 12/1/2016*** Fixed typo in script

***Update 12/2/2016*** Added better formatting, time stamp, log file override, and network adapter status and error codes

Attachments

• Network_Info.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited:
I haven't played with this one for awhile, and it got removed from my W10 systems after updates, but it's a very cool little app.:up: When I get a chance I will download again and see how it looks and continue to provide feedback. Thanks for posting it again! It's a handy app that will help any Techs troubleshooting Client networks or their own home networks.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Sorry to jump in, but I am having the identical problem.
I am rehabilitating a 10 year old Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows XP for a friend.
1. If I connect it via cable to my FIOS cable modem, Bing searches do work, but all links refuse to work with the error message about "going to a secured network" and cannot display.

2. Using wifi, it sees the available networks but cannot connect to them to let me put in the password.
I am attaching my "networkinfo.txt" and would really appreciate help too.

P.S. This might be useful info:
When I tried to install Firefox I got the error message that "This version of Firefox requires a processor with SSE2 support"

Attachments

• networkInfo.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 512
Looks like your adapter is 802.11b I would verify your router supports that protocol. B, G and N can or do operate in the 2.4Ghz spectrum, but B uses a different modulation than g or n so it won't connect if there is no b support.

Neem's right about the timeframe. It sounds like your hardware is too old for W10. This could be something as simple as W10 substituting a new driver for the NIC adapter in your PC and it's not compatible with W10! If you did the W10 upgrade yourself, did you remember to run THE WINDOWS10 COMPATIBILITY TEST? If not, you may have missed an incompatibility with your NIC card and the W10. If you decide to really fix this problem, and reinstall your W10 from scratch after backing up all your Personal Data to external media first, you can re-run the Compatibility Test as it's part of the W10 upgrade/install program. Here's the instructions on how to run it: Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10
The SSE2 support is one of the 3 needed CPU instruction types on modern CPU chips; Intel & AMD 3rd gen or newer, and along with the NX instruction missing, if any of the 3 are missing (I can't remember the 3rd at the moment), your XP-era hardware is too old to run W10. The oldest computer I've ever gotten to run on W10 is one built in 2006. This is the cutoff of the older CPUs without those instructions support. Generally, speaking, if your Computer doesn't say "VISTA READY" or "VISTA COMPATIBILE" right on the front of the case or the keyboard surface of the laptop, then it's probably too old to work with W10 properly. :encouragement:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thank you BIGBEARJEDI. I am not trying to use Windows 10 on this old laptop. It has Windows XP on it and that is fine with the person I am donating it to.
So I just want to get it to access the web for this person. Does Windows XP need SSE2 support to connect to the internet? I assume that is in the processor itself.
I wonder if installing linux may be a solution?

SSE2 is a CPU instruction set. Firefox may need it to function as may other browsers. You may be better off installing a copy of Linux such as Linux Mint. That way you'd at least have a supported OS as well as get better performance on the older hardware.

Thanks Neem.
I myself am on Windows 10. I'll see if this person can use Linux.She not computer literate and might not know the difference.

I've installed Ubuntu and Mint for people that can barely use a computer and they've typically been able to use it without issue.

Thank You Neemobeer for sharing the .bat file. I have been studying the writing of scripts and analyzing what you composed helps me in my study. Many thanks.

I've installed Ubuntu and Mint for people that can barely use a computer and they've typically been able to use it without issue.
Which 32bit version of Mint do you recommend for the computer newbie I am preparing the laptop for: KDE, xfce, MATE, Cinnamon?
Or is Ubuntu better for such a newbie?

Thank you BIGBEARJEDI. I am not trying to use Windows 10 on this old laptop. It has Windows XP on it and that is fine with the person I am donating it to.
So I just want to get it to access the web for this person. Does Windows XP need SSE2 support to connect to the internet? I assume that is in the processor itself.
I wonder if installing linux may be a solution?
>>>XP Helper: the answer to your question is "NO", since XP came out in 2001, there are 6 years worth of CPU chips out there without that new CPU instruction that ran XP->Internet connectivity just fine. But, if you try to upgrade to W8x/W10 then of course it's a problem as I mentioned.<<<
<<<BBJ>>>

Neem's got a lot more experience on Mint than I do; I haven't yet played with it or the other 598 Linux variants currently out there. But, I have been doing Ubuntu for a couple of years and like that. The real issue is that if this computer you are donating is being donated to a senior that is a pre-baby-boomer (born prior to 1946) or 70+ years old, they didn't grow up in the digital age, and have all kinds of issues learning an entirely new OS such as Linux.:headache: Most of those folks have only been using computers for a decade or so, and some have been on Windows for 20 years. Asking them to change to Linux is like asking them to change to a Mac! The real issue is that if your donatee, so-to-speak decides to add a peripheral such as printer or a webcam to Linux, that's going to be pretty impossible to do, as I can't even figure out how to do that in Linux and I've been doing computers for 46 years. If they are just going to connect to the Internet and read the news, check E-mail, and maybe do some social media such as facebook, then that would work. Maybe. I've been trying to convert the seniors in that age group who live in the rural resort community for 4 years, and it's easier to convert them to a Mac or iPad than to Linux. I can't even get my local Computer Club to do classes on using Linux since they are so ghastly afraid of it. If your donatee is younger than 70, you may be alright, but I thought it would be worth passing along if you are considering donating an older computer with Linux on it to someone who has never seen or heard of it before.

Cheers:teeth:!
BBJ

Thank you all. Very useful info.

I too have dabbled with Linux and know what you mean Bigbeard even though I too have used computers for decades (since the Apple II days!). Still have several flavors of Linux on my current laptop installed under Oracle Virtual Box. But rarely go there.....

I've used Windows since NT 3.5.1 and Linux since 2004. MSCA certified and LPI I & II and Open Suse Administrator certified as well as Netware Certified :) and a few other certs.

I am using an ethernet cable for a long time in a tower running win10. Today I change the cable with a new one which doesn't connect to the internet. I tested the new cable on a laptop running WinXP, where I disconnected from wifi and I was able to connect to the internet.
So the cable is good and the problem is my original pc. Next, I run the .bat file and I would like some help with the text file made.
Also, i have run the same file with old cable. Both are included below.

Attachments

• network_information (new cable).txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 424
  • network_information (old cable).txt
    11.8 KB · Views: 578
The only difference is Windows doesn't detect the new cable as plugged in.

You may want to check the speed & duplex setting in device manager > NIC > properties

That's the message I keep getting when I run diagnostics. But I just don't get it, why windows can't see the cable. I made both cables myself followed the T-568B standard of color wiring.

Some further info : The lights of ethernet mount on pc, blinks for 1-2 times and stops. Then it blinks one time every 10-20 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom