Windows 7 network file copy Win7 > Vista - Dies

frumbert

I'm trying to copy DVD's and other large files from one win7 pc where I process and them over to my vista based mediacentre box.

I have a Win7 box (source) and a Vista SP2 box (dest). I also have a QNAP TS-209 NAS box on the same network (which is gigabit).
Source has a Realtelk PCIe GBE family adaptor (gigabit)
Destination has a Realtek RTL8168B/8111 Adaptor (gigabit)
Switch between them is a TPLink TL-SG1008D

I can open a folder or share on the vista machine from Win7 and browse as normal.
When I try a file copy it starts the process and then says "The networth path was not found". The file copy fails.

I have tried robocopy using this option:
robocopy e:\dvd \\mediacentre\DVDs *.* /S /Z /XN /TBD /R:10 /W:10 /V

I get a 0.0% screen and then it times out.

The specified network name is no longer available.
Waiting 1 seconds... Retrying...
New File 1023.9 m VTS_01_4.VOB
2009/12/20 10:13:37 ERROR 53 (0x00000035) Copying File e:\dvd\CALIFORNICATION_S1_D1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
The network path was not found.
ERROR: RETRY LIMIT EXCEEDED.

When copying from Win7 to the QNAP NAS box it works fine just using windows file copy, and better using robocopy.
When I copy from the Vista box from the QNAP NAS box it works file just using windows file copy, and better using robocopy.

So I do have a work around

Win7 -> to -> NAS (Linux based)
then
Vista <- from <- NAS

But this is a pain in the ass.

Windows should be able to copy directly from machine to machine without having to go through a linux based intemediatary.

I have also found it is faster to copy 8GB files to a memory stick, walk it to the other machine, and pop it on there. I thought Gigabit Ethernet was supposed to make things faster?

Tips? Ideas? Things in the network card properties I should be setting?

Back