Windows 10 Network problem between Win 7 and Win 10

John Clark

Honorable Member
I've been having a problem getting my computers to fully connect to each other on the network. My wife has a HP laptop with WIN 10 Home edition. My machine is a desktop with WIN 7 Pro. The desktop can see the laptop but cannot log on or access the laptop, while the laptop can log onto DT and access all shared directories. The info in the Credential managers are correct for both machines.
At one time the machines could access each other but with updates from Microsoft the connections were broken.
Attached are 2 files containing system and network info for both machines. I would like to find out how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• network_information-DT.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 185
  • network_information-LT.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 168
A wireshark capture while attempting to connect would be more helpful as there are many reasons you wouldn't be able to connect.

The desktop can see the laptop but cannot log on or access the laptop, while the laptop can log onto DT and access all shared directories. The info in the Credential managers are correct for both machines.

Is NetBIOS over TCP enabled on both computers as in the tutorial below?
Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in Windows 7 ent.

Is file and printer sharing TURNED ON on both computers?

is network discovery TURNED ON on both computers?

Are the services below active (running)?
Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)
Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)
SSDP Discovery Service

What happens when you try to access the shared file/folder by typing the IP address in File Explorer?
something like \\192.168.1.2\shared

Disabled NETBios on both machines and all discovery is on. Still status quo. Laptop (WIN 10) automatically sees win 7 machine on bootup but Desktop cannot log onto laptop.

I see error: STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Normally Windows 10 is set to default to NTLMv2 authentication level and Windows 7 is LM NTLM and negotiate NTLMv2. I do see the Windows 7 sending NTLMv2 packets though so I would check and clear out credentials if you have them in "credential manager" in control panel.

Disabled NETBios on both machines and all discovery is on. Still status quo. Laptop (WIN 10) automatically sees win 7 machine on bootup but Desktop cannot log onto laptop.
Sorry but I have asked you to enable NetBios on both computers not to disable.

I see error: STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Normally Windows 10 is set to default to NTLMv2 authentication level and Windows 7 is LM NTLM and negotiate NTLMv2. I do see the Windows 7 sending NTLMv2 packets though so I would check and clear out credentials if you have them in "credential manager" in control panel.

Credentials were listed only on the WIn 7 machine and were removed. Situation is still the same, rebooted to see if that would help but still status quo.

On Windows 7 try setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel to 5

If it still isn't working get another wireshark capture.

I see you trying to authenticate with a different account with a different machine name. You need to be using credentials that are on the remote machine in the form REMOTECOMPUTERNAME\REMOTEUSER

Are the times on both machines the same or within 5 minutes? I would try disabling channel binding on the Windows 7 box.

• Start > Run
  • Type secpol.msc
  • Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security: Exteneded Protection for Authentication
  • Turn the setting on and set it to disabled and reboot

Back