Network shares & lags

Good day mighty experts,

I do have a question regarding the way Windows 7 handles network shares. I have a few NAS servers on my network (mapped to local drives on my pc), some of which using power saving techniques. As a result, they stop their hard drives after a few minutes idle time. This is fine, but I do experience sever lags on my desktop unfortunately.

Whenever I open the file explorer, right click the taskbar, perform any system task, launch an application, etc, the system (explorer.exe) freezes for 15-20s until the NAS hard drives get powered on. I am not even browsing these drives or using any data out of them - merely performing local tasks or trying to.

When it happens 20 times a day, this behaviour gets highly annoying. Is there anything I can do to tell Windows not to scan the whole network or refresh the whole network neighborhood when I simply want to open a local file?

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
In so far as I know there is no way to remediate this behavior. It it simply resource enumeration (smb/netbios) and since some of the resources that the machine is attempting to identify and confirm their availabilty are network based and because of a power saving setting are unavailable this will add time to the process. My suggestion would be to adapt the power saving scheme for the problem resources since a network relies heavily on high availability and up-time.
There is one other very subtle issue with Windows 7 and certain network shares, most noticeably printers, but I don't suspect that that is actually your problem but if you would like to research it further then google seems to mostly impact network shared printers.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.