Windows 7 New calculator......

djwayne

Hey check out the new calculator. It has numerous options that include calculating a mortgage, gas mileage, in the options section.

It'll also do weight conversions, temperature conversions, etc...

Check it out, it's sweet !!

Calculator Bug?

I ran some numbers through the "Mortgage Estimator" - while using the "Down Payment" selection, and using 150000 for the price, 30 as Term / number of years, and 6 as Interest rate, and 1000 as montly payment, the final result was a negative number.

I have attached a screenshot.

It shows a negative number because your monthly payments exceed what is needed to pay off the mortgage. Run the same numbers using 0 down payment, and you'll get a monthly payment of $ 899....

It is nice to see Microsoft taking the time to update something as simple as the Calculator in Windows 7.. ;) I like the new and improved one alot... now if only my new keyboard had a calculator button on it by default... :( I miss that button... hahaha

Radenight i completely agree. It seems that most manufacturers are going away from those simple keys because there are so many alternatives. They mainly focus on the sound and movie keys.

Maybe an "always on top" choice would be nice, as well as the capacity to remember what was being done over many shut downs like my Blackberry does. Good calculator but pretty useless for anything outside of what is going on per session. I came to this thread because I'm looking for something better.

Back again, and here is exactly what I am referring to. Come on Microsoft, get a clue.
SpeedCrunch - fast and usable calculator

They had that on the Power Tools Calculator for Windows XP. It was a simple text file, I think I remember you had to create it and make it so that only a user could delete it.

They had that on the Power Tools Calculator for Windows XP. It was a simple text file, I think I remember you had to create it and make it so that only a user could delete it.
I was amazed to discover, after over ten years of knowing it is part of Windows that there is no "Always on top" option. That doesn't seem sensible. This "Speed Crunch" app is more than great. I can export and import sessions. That rocks.

Wow!

Talk about being oblivious, I use the calculator all the time.
I have a button on my keyboard that opens it, and I never looked at the "View" drop down and saw all the options.

I've actually gone online to convert metric to inches etc. without knowing that I could do it right there in the Calculator.

Thanks for the heads up.

I too would like to see an "Always on Top" option, that's the one thing I miss, when I'm using it while online it's disappearing all the time.

Mike

Mike, try the link I posted above. I was amazed at what I found. It takes a few minutes to get the "know" of the calculator, but after you figure it out, it blows the Microsoft version away. You can export and import sessions, "always on top," it retains history over multiple sessions and a bunch of things Microsoft doesn't address.

Back