Windows 7 New Drive appeared well the icon anyhow.

hornby

Hello guys,

I have my HDD divided into two portions: C and D drive - both 250gb = 500gb total across the two.

Now when I enter MY COMPUTER it shows C and D drive normally, but there is also another drive visible noted as (Q:) Drive, it has no allocated memory at all, and when you try to enter it says Q:/ is not accessible Acess denied.

My question is how can i delete this please.

Regards, Marcus.

You can hide the drive.

1) Right-Click on Computer in the start menu
2) Click on Manage (Click yes when UAC appears)
3)From the list of options Click on Disk Management that will be located in the left-bottom section
4) All your hard disk and its partitions will be show in the right hand side
5) Right-Click on the partition that you want to hide and select "Change Drive Letters and Path"
6) Click on "Remove" and click "Yes"
7) Your drive will now be hidden in My Computer

done that my friend, although it only shows c and d drives, it dosent show the newly visible q: drive which has no memory allocated to it. any thoughts?

Don't know when or under what circumstances, but "Local Disk (Q:)" magically appeared also.
1. Just to look at the drive in "Computer" does not show a size.
2. Double clicking on the drive it tells me "Q:\ is not accessible. Access is denied."
3. Right clicking and select properties. Shoes size as 0 bytes.
4. Disk Management does not report that it even exists let alone a drive letter
5. Computer Management does not list it under "Disk drives"
7. Cannot unmount the drive

I have Norton AV 17.7.0.12 and the definitions are updated daily so I don't imagine this is activity attributed to malware. I'm not seeing anything funny happening in the registry and when I run netstat I'm not seeing any unexpexted connections. My computer is not acting unusual or sluggish. This is a conundrum! Any ideas?

You will first need to take ownership of the drive and grant the administrators group full control over the drive. Yoy can find a narrative here: Link Removed - Not Found. The narrative is for files and folders but it is the same for drives.

You should now have access to the drive to delete or format it.

You may need to use Diskpart: A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility to delete the drive since it is much more powerful than disk management.

Someone mentioned Office 2010 might be involved. Are you using the trial?

Back
Top Bottom