New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That can be kinda subjective. It's ok for me.

But I really hate the ad's being in random posts.
Kind of throws things off. Can make for more scrolling cause it squeezes the text of a large post to a small column.
The ad's pop under a quote box (thankfully under).
Overall, the ad's make for messy to read posts.
Also gives the impression of a commercialized forum.

Do I need to start worrying about pop-ups, pop-unders, potential ad's that contain drive-by installs?
I should say, I don't think that this is an actual concern, but for a new member viewing the forum for the first time, they might get that impression.

These are just some concerns.

However.....

I can get used to the layout of the over all forum.

The width of the site has recently been changed to a proportional design. Do you think this is better or should we go back to fixed width? Nevermind the fixed width is better for browser compatibility.

To be honest I never even noticed so leave it as you will...;)

...But I really hate the ad's being in random posts.
Kind of throws things off. Can make for more scrolling cause it squeezes the text of a large post to a small column.
Also gives the impression of a commercialized forum...

Yea, having an ad in my post with the text I typed makes it look like I put it there to advertise. If I was just coming here for the first time I would be a little wierded-out by it.

I have a "tech support" ad in one off my posts and it makes it look like I'm part of a tech support team.

Last edited by a moderator:
That can be kinda subjective. It's ok for me.

But I really hate the ad's being in random posts.
Also gives the impression of a commercialized forum.

Do I need to start worrying about pop-ups, pop-unders, potential ad's that contain drive-by installs?
I should say, I don't think that this is an actual concern, but for a new member viewing the forum for the first time, they might get that impression.

These are just some concerns.

However.....

I can get used to the layout of the over all forum.

I think you have made a fair assessment about the ads. I don't like them, but its the only way to pay for the extra features. The more people who join and use the forums on a daily basis, the more I can consider removing alot of the ads. I'd like to put them back on the side away from the posts, but this is currently in development as integration into the actual posts is quite annoying looking.

... Just a note, my handy dandy Windows7Forums tool bar, isn't exactly working ....

This has been fixed. Reload the web browser or toolbar.

While the toolbar is now working again and is a great feature for our best members, Conduit.com, the company that helped us develop the toolbar, owes Windows7Forums.com over $200 in referral fees which they haven't paid up. Hopefully it is just a glitch in their system, because their privacy policy might also be a glitch if thats the case and then I will be forced to remove it.

I , as usual, always come up with the gloomier outlook - lol!!

Now that it is fully functional, I am totally at home with the new look. But I use forums as a tool only. If the navigation is standard and efficient, I tend not to notice other issues, least of all cosmetics. It's just me - sorry. Black and white would also have done for me.

I haven't noticed that myself RAK, in which part of the forum did you notice this especially?
Hi Kemical.
When I opened this morning, I found another feature, connected with the above. Now, when I scroll, it outlines all the new posts as I go down the page. Visually it is a little disturbing. I have enclosed picture 1, which shows this. Picture 2 is the colour change effect (White to blue) I can now see, this morning, that this is not a gradient change but happens as soon as I begin to scroll down the concealed portion of the page. As no one else has commented, I am beginning to think this is something to do with my gui setup. I wont be about to change it, so I guess I will have to get used to it??

Link Removed due to 404 Error[

Link Removed due to 404 Error

RAK, what browser and version are you using. If you're in IE8 disable compatibility mode.

IE8 8.0.7600.16385

I,ll have to wait until I get a build up of new posts Mike, before I can try again. If it is the comaptibility which is causing the proble, then I snookered. I have no intention of changing my settings.

Yes. It is a compatibility mode problem. It also creates problems in the top bar (notifications.etc). I,ll have to think out where I go from here.

What do I click to see today's posts - Not new posts

No response, but anyway, I found it. I do not normally open on the home page, and it does not appear on other pages.

Last edited:
Defhinatle a lot better, I glad you moved the icons from thr bootom as I always had to scool up t0 post mssageg.

Very good job Mike

Hi Kemical.
When I opened this morning, I found another feature, connected with the above. Now, when I scroll, it outlines all the new posts as I go down the page. Visually it is a little disturbing. I have enclosed picture 1, which shows this. Picture 2 is the colour change effect (White to blue) I can now see, this morning, that this is not a gradient change but happens as soon as I begin to scroll down the concealed portion of the page. As no one else has commented, I am beginning to think this is something to do with my gui setup. I wont be about to change it, so I guess I will have to get used to it??

I think thats something to do with your settings RAK as I don't see that when scrolling down. Once thing I've noticed is the empty boxes when you place your cursor over the thread icon (see screenshot)

Very Nice, Why so white? We could have a pattern through the page? Leaves or balloons-- Any suggestions? How do we change our "Avatar"?

There has, in the past, been too much discussion regarding the repuation/points system. This posts does not wish to restart the dicussion, and is addressed to Mike and Kemical. The little star is now even more insignificant than before. Great. But, maybe my setup again, if you click it, there seems to be no indication that anything has actually happened??

Forget it. I have been experimenting. It seems that it works. Maybe the one I was experimenting with had the option closed. Perhaps, though, on reflection, it would help to prevent abuse if approvers also, as well as disapprovers, had to give a reason for approving?

Last edited:
Well they don't 'have' to give a reason but as your aware there is space to provide one..

The forum softwas has been updated from release candidate v4 to the final gold version today.

Back