New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 2009 Updates to WinVistaForums.com

• Forum software and components have been updated
  • A problem with the Blogs area has been fixed today

Facebook Connect

It is now possible to link your Facebook account to Windows 7 Forums. This is a convenience to forum members, since the process of registering will be unnecessary if you already have a Facebook account. Since this functionality is still in development by the author, some features are not yet available but likely will be in future iterations. (For those interested, this uses a custom API written by Facebook, more information about this here (Facebook Developers | Facebook Connect)

Existing members can link to their Facebook account by clicking on the Connect with Facebook button. When you log in with your Facebook account, you will then be asked if you have an existing forum membership. By providing both details, your Facebook account will then be linked with your forum account. In the future, this can be used to post information to your Facebook account whenever you reply to a message or post a new thread to the forums. Information from your Facebook account is also mapped to your user profile.

This new feature has not yet been extensively tested. Good luck!

New forums as requested

As requested by members, there are now two new forums: Windows 8 and a Tweaks forum to post guides and configuration changes.

Thanks Mike! :) Much appreciated.. I'm diving into the Windows 8 (Midori) news as quick as it comes out.. I've recently gained a couple more connections within certain circles as well so the next few months will indeed be exciting.. ;)

Last edited:
How about adding soundcard/onboard audio in the User CP and maybe a push towards filling out your system details?

How about adding soundcard/onboard audio in the User CP and maybe a push towards filling out your system details?

I do agree with you Loathe on the getting people to fill out their system details but when you think about it, it just wouldn't work.. If a person has to fill out a/or page(s) of information just to join a forum, the majority of people aren't going to bother (it's stupid I know but it's the way alot of people look at it), they'd just move onto the next forum.. ;) Which of course isn't a desired outcome.. This was discussed at least once before as well..

As for the soundcard/onboard audio in CP, I agree with that as well, that would be a very welcome addition in my opinion.. :) Not only would it make it a bit quicker for us to troubleshoot sound related issues but I know I like to show off an expensive sound card when given the opportunity.. ;)

Yeh I understand that, and Im not saying making it compulsory, just a bit more push towards it after creating an account. eg.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

This screen could have more emphasis on how filling out your profile will help people answer your question and stream line the response. I dunno, doest really matter, but you know what its like getting the one liners with no system information.

I do agree with you Loathe on the getting people to fill out their system details but when you think about it, it just wouldn't work.. If a person has to fill out a/or page(s) of information just to join a forum, the majority of people aren't going to bother (it's stupid I know but it's the way alot of people look at it), they'd just move onto the next forum.. ;) Which of course isn't a desired outcome.. This was discussed at least once before as well..
;)
True. But on an aside, I do think, with some reservations, that there is overemphasis on this on this site. I have not encountered, on any others I visit, such a pertinent request for details as here. Wild guess, 1.more than 80% of the questions are such, that the details are not needed. 2. Appropos the above, many of the requesters are single, or at best, triple posters who get their answer and are never seen again. They would not feel a need to go to those lengths to get a reply. 3. This is a one off! many people these days are using more than one computer. In some circumstances, if a request for help were made, the request could be wrongly answered if they did not specify they were using another computer.
I think that maybe some kind of very quick facility could be incorporated, where, on request from a member, they could very rapidly supply the details.

:D There is something like a 90% bounce rate on this site. Most people don't even bother to register. Getting anyone to fill out specs seems unlikely, but I will look into adding this in bold somewhere for the people that do want to be part of this community.

I would also say that there is an announcement on the top of almost every forum asking people to include their system specs! Hopefully this will improve the situation.

As you know Mike, this is a common problem. As I said in a post here a long time ago, I am reluctant to post links to other sites, where the help they seek may be forthcoming. I would prefer in the end, to copy it over to here.
I am sure many of us are on several forums. I often encounter members who have posted only once here, and once on other forums, and got their answer elsewhere. They do not even have the good grace to make a second post of ackowledgement. Mind you, that is what the internet search engines are for.

:D There is something like a 90% bounce rate on this site. Most people don't even bother to register. Getting anyone to fill out specs seems unlikely, but I will look into adding this in bold somewhere for the people that do want to be part of this community.

I would also say that there is an announcement on the top of almost every forum asking people to include their system specs! Hopefully this will improve the situation.
hey Mike...thanks for the forum first of all. Second; I too am guilty of not posting specs because I've thrown seven onto several PC's. If you do request specs might I suggest it be for the primary use pc. I also think a security forum or category would be helfful because as I said before, this is a category where clearly everybody brings something to the table!

hey Mike...thanks for the forum first of all. Second; I too am guilty of not posting specs because I've thrown seven onto several PC's. If you do request specs might I suggest it be for the primary use pc. I also think a security forum or category would be helfful because as I said before, this is a category where clearly everybody brings something to the table!

Yeha I second that big time :) Best forum I have ever signed up to . Got to say for many years hid my self in the net . Dont know why me strange :eek:
Just got involved and this is the place to do it .
This forum is the most easy going you place few restrainst on people who post derogartory stuff about the moderators . Well Guess they do get that nice colour very fetching I am sure :)
Posted my specs when I signed up .
Very happy camper on this the most easy and fun forum to be a part of = TY :D

I have to say I was glad to put my computer specs here. It can only help in case I come up with a hardware issue.

Update: Cool! I finally became a senior member.

Experience, Titles, and Ranks

Are you confused about all of the titles and experience points on this site? More information can now be found here, in the FAQ section:

I don't find it too confusing.. ;) The problem is people don't always stop and think before they ask questions.. ;)

To anyone who's Avatar will not display

Hey gang,

Some of you may have noticed that your Avatar is now a little white box with a red "X" in it.. Unfortunately Mike is unable to restore them so you'll have to re-upload them to fix the problem.. ;)

Cheers for now.. :)

Thanks for that Radenight . Had to reinstall mine > No biggy :D

Back
Top Bottom