New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine fought back for a couple of days, then gave up yesterday and had to be replaced.

A very nice feature Mike.. ;) Did you catch the news lately? Apparently some people are using Facebook to scam people out of A LOT of money. ;) I say it was bound to happen eventually.. :)

A very nice feature Mike.. ;) Did you catch the news lately? Apparently some people are using Facebook to scam people out of A LOT of money. ;) I say it was bound to happen eventually.. :)

Fraudsters Target Facebook With Phishing Scam

Fraudsters Target Facebook With Phishing Scam

Hackers for the first time are targeting the popular social networking site Facebook with a phishing scam that harvests users' login details and passwords.
Some Facebook users checking their accounts Wednesday found odd postings of messages on their "wall" from one of their friends, saying: "lol i can't believe these pics got posted.... it's going to be BADDDD when her boyfriend sees these," followed by what looks like a genuine Facebook link.
But the link leads to a fake Facebook login page hosted on a Chinese .cn domain. The fake page actually logs the victims into Facebook, but also keeps a copy of their user names and passwords

I am not a member of Facebook = thanks be :D

But the link leads to a fake Facebook login page hosted on a Chinese .cn domain. The fake page actually logs the victims into Facebook, but also keeps a copy of their user names and passwords

Unreal :eek:

Yes it does appear to be :D
Would seem to many of these social sites are open to all kinda abuse . So I am keeping away from Twitter and Facebook ;)

It doesn't really matter where you go on the net these days, someone, somewhere will be after peoples info...

It doesn't really matter where you go on the net these days, someone, somewhere will be after peoples info...

Good Point . I have the edge in that anyone unfortunate enough to gain access to my computers files will only discover moths and no rich hoards of valuable info :D

Recent Forum Developments

• After the importation of WinVistaForums.com some time ago, a duplication problem occured on older posts. This resulted in some old threads in the forum having duplicate content. Over the last week I have worked to solve this problem, and finally found the answer. Over 5000 duplicate posts in old threads were deleted.
  • For redundancy, fault tolerance, and back-up, additional hard drives were ordered specifically for this website, as well as for the contiuation of my ability to use a computer system.
  • Donations from Premium Supporters directly helped pay for 10% of licensing fees going towards WHM/Cpanel software for CentOS, which keeps the forum operating system stable and automatically updated. A special thanks to Premium Supporters
  • A zero tolerance policy on spam posters has now been implemented. Please do not waste everyones time and spam (not you, unless you're here to spam!).
  • A software package called VBNexus has been integrated into the forums to allow users of Google, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook to easily join and become part of the forums. This technology is still in a very early stage of development and we have tried a different prototype once before with miserable results. However, this one appears to be working OK, just be careful since it is in beta.
  • I am currently working during my free time to create a backup solution for this website which will be unbreakable. While nightly backups are already in place, I have gone into "overkill mode" in as far as developing a Windows Server 2008 machine specifically for backing up the forums. The problem is there is no RAID on this server and it is currently having its guts pulled out. I have RMA'd some parts, but eventually it will be in top shape. Really, this is unnecessary but since I have the hardware, might as well use it.
  • The blog section should be used for posting blog entries and not technical problems. Please use the support forum for this. The blog section was cleared of posts re: technical issues with Windows 7.
  • Some changes were made earlier in the month as to what happens when people create accounts and then never use them. These individuals are classified as "zero posters" and if you check the FAQ this information has been updated. If you do not log into your account for 30 days and have never posted a message it will be deleted. Also, if you do not confirm your e-mail account within 7 days your account is deleted (previously it would stay in limbo).
  • There is now an official Windows 7 Forums Toolbar which may provide useful for some people who either do not use Google/Yahoo/Alexa or any other toolbar, or who want to simply stay up-to-date with the forums while at work (or something). Hopefully some people will like the toolbar enough to keep using it. I for one now have three toolbars I am using, so it is getting kind of ridiculous and understand if people don't care to install it. But the option is available.
  • Several moderators have been given administrator rights on the forum and these members are: kemical and Radenight. They have been selected for their dedication, technical knowledge, and expertise, as well as the fact that there was a need for more than one admin.
Thank you for your support as we continue to improve the forums.

Thank you for all your hard work on this Forum Mike . Great choice in Radenight and Kemical for new moderators .
Good people and always willing to help or encourage folk .
The Forum stands up well now for speed and stability from the point of an end user . If I can ever get some cash will become a paid up member . Long story but cash is not to be had for now .
Best of luck to you Mike and all the good folk on this forum :D

You continue to work hard for this forum Mike. I hope everyone else appreciates it as much as I do. Thanks for everything.

The forum certainly has come a long way from it's humble beginnings as have the community that frequents the place. I think it's a very 'warm' forum with friendly users everywhere and doesn't seem to be hassled by the problems that plague so many other forums.
I'm really proud that Mike has decided to reward Radenight and myself with the new positions and will make sure that he won't regret in doing so..
All in all it's becoming a really nice tight knit community and long may it continue to do so......:D:D

Once again, as above, A big thanks to Mike for all his hard work.
Get well soon mate.

Retail release of Windows 7

Yesterday, the website was inundated with traffic. Some changes have been made to deal with the anticipated traffic spike.

Thank you,
Mike

This site was down for me again today too. But a lot of stuff is really dragging. Google Images won't all load from a search. I'm beginning to dislike Windows 7.... must be all the downloading.

The site has been placed on a RAID configuration to speed up HD processing... the problem was a major bottleneck. The frequency of backups has also been reduced to occur during non-peak hours. This reconfiguration was substantial and more RAM has been added to the site as well.

Sounds good! Have you used an onboard chip or used a drop in card for the RAID controller?

I must have slipped through the cracks - lol. The site has been working perfectly for me. But I may have missed the problem, I haven't looked at the site for a couple of days.!

Back