Intel i5-4210U 1.7gh
Lenovo Lancer 5A2
Samsung DDR3 8G PC3-12800 1.35V
Integrated Intel HD 4400
Samsung Momentus 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM
Microsoft Security Essentials
Opera/Firefox/Explorer

Hello,

I got a new Lenovo laptop model G50-70 20351 last week which only had FreeDos on it. After installing windows 7 ultimate 64 I got BSOD 0xf4 while installing drivers. I reinstalled windows again only to get another BSOD 0xf4 while installing drivers again. A third time, again, except it happened before I even started installing drivers!

I ran memtest in boot overnight...8 passes but RAMs clean. So i ran cmd smart test, HDD OK. Ran crystal disk HDD OK. Ran HDD Scan HDD good. I don't think i had any viruses, because i hadn't even gone online yet.

So I called Lenovo while reinstalling windows a 4th time, and it BSODs on me after the initial boot while I'm on the phone with support. I hadn't even gotten to installing drivers yet again. Support tells me since I installed win 7 instead of 8 to turn on legacy settings in BIOS. I thought ok makes sense because I missed the 'legacy first' settting while having changed all the other relevant options.

Computer worked fine for a day, I thought it was smooth sailing from there. I managed to install all drivers without an issue. Keep in mind i did skip the Intel IRST driver and the Lenovo Battery Manager figuring I didn't need these. Started installing all the gear I need for school, Digital Audio Workstations, Office, Internet Browsers thats about it so far. Then while running Ableton Live I get BSOD 0x7a. Then it worked fine for another few hours and I get another BSOD 0x7a in Bitwig Studio. I didn't even open any instruments I was just loading up a sample which hardly pushed the computer at all Then, upon reboot, screen went black, windows explorer and taskbar gone, mouse cursor frozen, then it BSODs on me again 0xf4. I upgraded RAM last night to 8gb and here I am today in school and it SEEMS to be working OK but I know another one is coming. Also of note, BSODs occured with the factory generic 4gb RAM and after I upgraded to 8gb.

I haven't updated windows any of the times i installed it. I usually do not update. It was never a problem before on my other computer. Maybe a driver is the problem?

Attached are my Seven Forums Diagnostic zip, a picture i managed to snap of one of the BSODs(i was too slow to snap the others) and a pic of laptop specs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Brute Finesse

Attachments

• W7F_06-11-2014_BruteFinesse.zip
    3 MB · Views: 446
Just happened again...twice. I left Opera open downloading files while I stepped out of the lab. Got back and it was at login screen, logged in and said recovered from serious error(another 0xf4). After logging in, opened Opera and it froze, disappeared, screen goes black, but task bar still visible,cant move anything completely frozen, then another BSOD 0xf4.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6fc4004f328, ffffffffc000000e, 110ac8be0, fffff88009e65000}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the dump file that produced this Bugcheck also had an accompanying error code of:
Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware
Try running a chkdsk but in an admin command prompt using the command of chkdsk/f/r so it will find and fix broken sectors.

Your drivers also need updating from the Lenovo site as with lappies it's the manufacturer who supplies the driver. Be thorough and apply any firmwares and bios updates too.

I noticed this in the drivers:
sptd.sys Thu Oct 31 15:26:53 2013: SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools (known BSOD issues with Win7) Please remove to test.

amokd0dh.SYS Wed Sep 11 13:57:09 2013: I can find no information on this driver and it could be malware. Try running Malwarebytes:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

I also have to ask have you considered returning the laptop?

Post any new dump files..

Thanks for the quick response.

I ran chkdsk...everything seemed fine...results are enclosed.

I have the latest drivers, however, I didn't install the battery manager or the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Do you recommend I install them? Could this be the problem?

I don't have Daemon Tools, but upon googling, sptd.sys is also used by Alcohol 120%, which I do have. However, I only installed it yesterday and was getting the BSODs before I ever installed it.

I ran MBAM, results were clean. MSE also comes up clean. Also of note is that I was getting these BSODs before I even connnected to the internet. I also ran memtest on boot before for 8 passes and it came up clean.

Funny that you mention that. I am currently in Korea and bought my lappie at the computer market. They have the most competitive prices and I have never had a problem with them before. First thing I did was call the vendor, it hadnt even been a week yet, and he said "not my problem, call Lenovo". Lenovo told me about the legacy settings in BIOS since I wanted win 7. After that I had ONE day free of BSODs. Thought I was in the clear but here I am LoL. So I thought I'd enlist your help and if all else fails then I'd go pull Lenovo's teeth and twist their arm as I've recently heard their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Again, thanks for your help Kemical, hopefully its a minor, fixable issue.

Attachments

• ChkdskResults_NewDump.zip
    56 KB · Views: 207
Sorry to keep posting little tidbits. I noticed something. Whenever the computer is idle and the screen shuts off, before it sleeps it BSODs. I believe it was an 0xf4 error. I don't know what to do anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Off Dumps.zip
    263.7 KB · Views: 206
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa800968ab30, fffffa800968ae10, fffff80002fa2db0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
apologies for the late reply but I've had issues myself.Namely a power supply failing..

Anyhoo... All your dumps are the same and means that a critical process has been terminated. Terminated by what is unclear although this can be disk related too. Looking your drivers again i noticed this:

LhdX64.sys Mon Jan 11 15:06:58 2010: Lenovo HD Disk Driver but where to update I've no idea as there is nothing on the support page. I would also apply the latest Bios and drivers you missed as they may bear some relation to this issue.

Try checking your drive using SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Also make sure the RAM is sitting properly and not loose in any way.

I've installed the latest BIOS. Didn't seem to be a difference. Seadrive came up clean. RAM is tight. I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and it seemed to fix the sleep BSOD issue. Hopefully it fixed the random BSOD issue, but thats to be determined. So far so good (crosses fingers). Do you think that could be the problem?

Good Luck with the PSU, hate when that happens.

It's possible as it did look like a drive related issue. Let me know how it goes and post any new dump files.. :)

*knocks on wood*
I want to say that installing the IRST drivers seemed to do the trick. No BSODs so far...
Been like this for a couple days...sleeps and awakes without problems...

Many thanks to you Kemical. I enlisted help on a couple other '7' forum sites, but only you and one other responded. Keep up the great work.

Best Wishes

Many thanks Brute and please post back if the need should arise.. :)

Back