New Motherboard

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sonny, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

Next week I am changing my motherboard to get more memory. I am going to a 32GB board and a i5 processor. I was told to reinstall Windows 7 and then put windows 8 back in. My question is do I install Win 7 before I put the board in or after the new mb is installed?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

When changing out major hardware, it's all ways best to do a clean install. A few questions; Is this an upgrade version install of 8? What version of 8 is it - 8 or 8 Pro.

You can create a ISO of the upgrade, which will allow you to do a clean install of 8 with out having to go through the double install of both OS's.

Make Bootable ISO File of Windows 8 Pro After Upgrading

3. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

Hi Bassfisher

It will be Windows 8 pro upgrade. I have it now but was told I had to put Windows 7 back in first. I will do a clean install. That would be the only way to go. Just wasn't sure if I had to put Windows 7 in before I changed out or after. I was thinking after the new board was in.

#3 Sonny, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

I tried dual booting at first, with a clean install on a partitioned drive, just to see how well or If I really liked windows 8 Pro. If there was a problem I could just format the drive and go back to 7. Well I ran into a few problems but not really a windows 8 issue purse' but boiled down to driver issues. Now I'm only with windows 8 Pro on a single drive and haven't looked back since.

Let us know how it goes when your new mobo and clean install.

5. carla

carla New Member

Did you bought it online? From where? How much?

#5 carla, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  6. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

Hi Carla,

I bought my Windows 8 from Wal-Mart when the price was only $69.99. As for the MB and Processor I got that from the local computer shop from where I live.

7. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

I am up and running and really amazed at the speed of 32 GB compared to 8. i5 processor is also great!