Windows 7 New process' don't stack on the superbar

Tisser

I have this problem with the new superbar (taskbar) that my pinned Warcraft 3 game wont stack.
As you can this in the picture below, when I click the left icon it opens a new one (the right one) and I cannot pin that process to the bar. As you can see the right-click menu doesn't allow me to pin this process to the bar.

Active WC3 process: (not able to pin this process)
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Pinned EXE file: (it looks like it should except new instances of the program start in their own icon)

This wasn't always like this, it started yesterday when I decided to test the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option. Before that it worked as intended. Yes I did remove "compatibility mode" and "run as admin" from both the shortcut and the EXE file.

As you can see in the below screenshot the OS does recognize the EXE/shortcut as being placed on the bar.

I'm very puzzled as to why and what went wrong, besides the "Troubleshoot compatibility" ruining my superbar... Please help me :)

Are you sure the processes are the same? If they aren't then they won't stack. Try opening Task Manager before doing anything and start W3, watching for any new processes that appear.

How is W3 launched? Do you have to run a loader first and then it starts the main game? Can you not just go to the W3 install folder and make a shortcut to the game in there and drag that to the 'Superbar'?

Thing is it worked before I ran the troubleshoot thingy. Also am only able to launch one instance of the app so I can't check if they're the same process.

If I right-click the exe file (Frozen Throne.exe) I get the option to pin it. If I start the game from that pinned icon on the superbar it opens in a new icon. So I now have 2 of the same icon, one being the shortcut the other being the process.

If I start the game, tab out and right-click the process I don't get the option to pin it as you do with other apps. I used to though but it's gone now, for some reason.

The game is not using a launcher.

I just noticed in task manager that I'm not the user running the process, the User Name field is empty... hmmm... need to find the place to change that.

I installed W3 and Frozen Throne to see what the problem was. If you make a shortcut to War3.exe and pin that to the Superbar then when you launch the game it automatically recognises that you have installed the FT addon without the need to start from 'FrozenThrone.exe'. This way I only get one icon in the Superbar when playing, whether in Windowed mode or fullscreen.

Since you mentioned compatibility problems I chose to install W3 using 'XP SP3' mode and I received no mention of troubleshooting or otherwise.

Last edited:
I get the same problem with the war3.exe file as with the FT.exe.
When you start WC3 what does it say under User name in task manager?

I get the same problem with the war3.exe file as with the FT.exe.
When you start WC3 what does it say under User name in task manager?

All I have in my Task Manger is War3.exe and my name beside it. I would try re-installing W3 from scratch using the XP compatibility mode because I got no warnings or errors when I used it.

Missing user name?

I didn't have problems during install or when I ran the game, I just clicked the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option out of curiosity, and it somehow fucked up my superbar icon. :(

Here's a screenshot of my task manager, as you can see the username field is empty and I think it is the source of the problem cause all other games I have tested with have my username there.

Doesn't work with win7. Also I don't think that's the problem cause other apps have my username.

I didn't have problems during install or when I ran the game, I just clicked the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option out of curiosity, and it somehow fucked up my superbar icon. :(

Here's a screenshot of my task manager, as you can see the username field is empty and I think it is the source of the problem cause all other games I have tested with have my username there.

Something is wrong somewhere. The username missing from just that app is very puzzling, not to mention that it is not showing as a 32bit app like it should be. I can only suggest saving whatever you need to save and then a fresh install. I would use XP compatibility mode just to be safe. The fact that it was giving you an option to troubleshoot means that something wasn't completely right with the install, or it has since become corrupted some way.

Ye I'm going to try to reinstall cause this is bugging me :)

And just as I uninstalled the game I discover that there are login issues on battle.net.... ARGH!!! and there's no way I'm using the CDs... The universe must hate me!

I'll get back to you when it's reinstalled.

Okay this is super strange!
I tried installing with compatibility:XP(SP3 & 2) as admin and not - but it's the same problem as before. :(

I have no idea how or why it worked the first time around, I need to install it on another PC with win7 to test.

EDIT:
Perhaps we need to take this to the blizzard forums cause I just tested WoW and it has the same problem :(

Last edited:
Okay this is super strange!
I tried installing with compatibility:XP(SP3 & 2) as admin and not - but it's the same problem as before. :(

I have no idea how or why it worked the first time around, I need to install it on another PC with win7 to test.

EDIT:
Perhaps we need to take this to the blizzard forums cause I just tested WoW and it has the same problem :(

Lol I was just going to ask if you had WoW to test that out. Well maybe you'll get more specific help over there if it's affecting both those games. Good luck!

Aright got a Link Removed due to 404 Error and it is indeed a "issue" with how they launch their games.

Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft won't pin to the Start menu and stack properly as they're separate processes. The three games run from \"Launchers\" and World of Warcraft runs a separate instance of wow.exe. If you want to see the stacking behavior, you'll want to try posting in the Suggestions forum.

Back
Top Bottom