Windows 10 New Windows Update Installed, Boots Incredibly Slowly

fuzmaster

I recently installed windows 10 update and now my computer boots up very slowly to the point where it takes a half hour to an hour for it to get to the login in screen. I have an ssd and previous it takes around 10 to 20 seconds, so I have no idea what's going on and what is causing this.

My specs

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($335.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.05 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($204.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ OutletPC)

I would start with the following
  • Attempt to boot into safe mode, if it's fast then you may have a buggy driver and/or hardware, if it's still slow then it's more likely to be hardware.
  • Unplug your computer and remove all non-essential components (the extra drives, graphics card and drop it down to 1 stick of memory
    • If it boots up fast, power down and add one component and repeat until it slows down again then time to troubleshoot that newly added component

Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.05 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Try booting the machine with just one brand of memory installed and not both, see if it makes a difference.

I recently installed windows 10 update and now my computer boots up very slowly to the point where it takes a half hour to an hour for it to get to the login in screen. I have an ssd and previous it takes around 10 to 20 seconds, so I have no idea what's going on and what is causing this.
Your not alone in this.....as a lot of people are reporting across other tech forums that upgraded ended up with a slower system and I was one of them. For me, I decided to download the ISO using MS Media Creation Tool and going the USB route and just doing a clean install.

Hi,
It would be helpful to know the version of W10 you were on prior to the update attempt: such as v1511 b10586.545. You can use the <windows-logo-key + R-key> command to get the run box, type in "winver" Windows will give you the exact version and build of W10 you have on the machine. There are many going back to last July 29th (v1511 b10240.x). If you attempted to install the Aug. 2nd Anniversary Update from ISO file, that would have worked, and I did not experience any major slow down with the latest version of AU, The build number may be different a bit, but the latest I have here is v1607.b14393.51 as of today. My W10 test machine is 9 years old, it's a Dell OEM Dimension E520, and it boots up in less than 2 min. to the desktop/internet on 3 different hard drives.:up:

When you ran your clean install, did you remember to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST to check for outdated drivers, apps, and hardware?
If you we suggest you do this prior to completing another clean install. Instructions on how to run the test are here: Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

If you take care of any issues reported by the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST, you should attempt the clean install again. Retest for bootup speed.
If still abnormally slow, you might want to test all your hardware as mentioned. Specifically should test ALL your RAM sticks using MEMTEST for a minimum of 8 passes; this will take from 8-24 hrs. or more if you find a failed stick and have to replace it and retest. Here's the hardware testing link I wrote: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Take a look at my POST #6 which gives you all the links needed for the test and covers all hard drive types.

Lastly, it looks to me like your PSU is a little under-powered for the hardware and GPU and RAM you have in that rig. I would suggest at least a 750Watt PSU. If MEMTEST and your Hard Drive diags all pass such as SEATOOLS, DLG, etc. your PSU is the next thing I'd look at.

Post back your W10 version information and the results of this recommended hardware testing and we will advise further.

Best,;)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I would suggest at least a 750Watt PSU.
EVGA only recommend a 400W

REQUIREMENTS
  • 400 Watt or greater power supply.****
  • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
  • Windows 10, Windows 8 & 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
EVGA - Product Specs - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+

So the 550W especially as it's Gold standard should be fine.

As it's the start up that's slow have you checked the task manager under 'Start up'?

my version is 1607 (os build 14393.51) I just kept it on, on fear that it may go slow again
Yup that build is the public release and I'm running it also. So from what you say above the slowdown has stopped?

I would definitely replace the 400 watt psu as it is made by HEC, one of the poorest quality makers of psus available.
The 550 are made by Super Flower and Seasonic, probably the best and sufficient for your system though I would feel better with 650 but again the wattage doesn't mean that much the quality of the maker really does matter here on this component.

Back