Windows 8 No browser in Windows 8?

chazz

Is it possible my new windows 8 computer does not have a browser installed? It's been a week, I keep searching, can't find one anywhere. I installed chrome on it, that works. I assume I can download IE free from MS, But IE has to already be on this thing someplace. Where is it?

Toshiba notebook, p875-s7102

Where do you change user name for the forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Windows 8 N has Internet Explorer built-in. From the desktop, try Windows Key + R to get the "Run" dialogue and type iexplore.exe.

If nothing comes up, something is afoot with your system. Please reply so we can determine the next step you'd want to take. Bottom line: Every edition has it, even the legally limited edition in Europe, so it should be there.

Take a look in the File explorer program files or program files (x86),. There should be a folder there for Internet explorer. If you find it, right click the executive (iexplorer.exe) and select to pin to the task bar or start menu (or both)

A thousand thanks. That brought it up and now it is in the list of programs. If it was there before now, I somehow didn't see it. After closing it I could not find another way to reopen it other than repeating run, iexplore.exe, but then when the E icon appeared in the taskbar I was able to pin it and that reopens it.

I tried to change the home page, added Google and tried to set to that, this only adds a tab you can click to open the google page. I went to tools and edited out the msn page, it autorestores. Tried changing the order, moving Google above the msn page, that didn't work, it immediately switched back. Is there a way of getting rid of that msn page? Thanks in advance.

Is there a way of getting rid of that msn page?

ie10tab-settings-for-google.png

Above is a sort of set it and forget it policy for making Google.com your homepage.

In addition...
If you prefer Google, you may also want to access Search Providers in Internet Explorer 10 by going here, more directly, while in IE:

Internet Explorer Gallery

This will add Google as a search provider that you can set as default.

First you must open the google page, if that is your wanted default.

If you haven't yet found it, a right click on the top bar offers you the "Menu bar" option.
With this, click "Tools" - "Internet options".
In the "General" tab, select "Use current"
"Apply" and Ok.

Back