Windows 7 No keyboard work

No USB keyboard of any sort works on this compuer (on any USB port). The USB ports are still good, since all other USB devices work on it. It is an aging Acer Aspire v5-571. I am reasonably confident it's a software issue, since no keyboard works on any USB port, said keyboards work on other computers, and the USB ports work with other devices. Restarting fixes nothing and nothing out of the ordinary appears in device manager.

Attached is my DxDiag report, in case you need it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    25.6 KB · Views: 373
DxDiag is a sound and video diagnostics tool. What you need is to run a system information utility report about your computer. Enter in the search/run box "msinfo32.exe" and after scanning, save the text file and post it to this forum here. What you need to do is go to your computer motherboard BIOS and check to see if the "USB controller is set to ON position"

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Have you tried plugging the keyboard in before starting up the pc?

DxDiag is a sound and video diagnostics tool. What you need is to run a system information utility report about your computer. Enter in the search/run box "msinfo32.exe" and after scanning, save the text file and post it to this forum here. What you need to do is go to your computer motherboard BIOS and check to see if the "USB controller is set to ON position"

Attached is the system info.

Also, something I do not understand at all - suddenly it started working when I opened On-Screen Keyboard.

Attachments

• sysinfo.txt
    3 MB · Views: 330
Have you tried posting your usb keyboard problem in the Acer Support forums?

Make sure you are using a Wired keyboard and not a Wireless keyboard. If you've already done that, skip down below. If you haven't temporarily replace the wireless keyboard with a wired keyboard and see if the result is better. If it is, your wireless keyboard(s) could be the problem. Since your USB ports work with other devices, mouse? Yes?

Next, you could be having a Windows general corruption problem or a virus/malware issue. Have you used your built-in AV to scan for viruses? If not, do that next and remove all viruses found. After that, download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware from piriform.com and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot the computer and retest the keyboard. If it works, you had a simple virus infection, and you're set to go!:up:

If you've already done the AV scans, or have since done them after reading this post, you need to do further troubleshooting to determine if the laptop components such as RAM, Hard Drive, and Mobo are ok or not before pursuing more aggressive software repairs such as W7 reinstallation. I've written an easy to use step-by-step Troubleshooting Guide to help you do this. It's vital that you do the Hardware testing first, before jumping ahead in the Guide and running off to go try one of the software repairs steps:noway:. This will be completely useless if it turns out you have a failing or failed component; as I always say: "NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE". :noway:
Here's the link to the Guide: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Another reason to do the hardware testing is that your Acer laptop is 4 years old. Hard Drive manufacturers only design their hard drives to last 2 years in laptops! :eek: This means that if you've never replaced that hard drive in the laptop since you owned it or paid someone like a Tech to do it for you, chances are VERY HIGH that it's failing for failed and must be tested and if tests fail, replaced. You may not be aware of this as Computer stores and online resellers do not advertise this fact.

Once you fully test your hardware and find that it's ok, you can apply the suggested software solutions to fix your problem. If you do find a faulty component you'll have to of course replace it before attempting the software solutions. Once that's done, you'll find that the Guide will solve the problem about 90% of the time. If your Hard Drive tests ok, or it failed and you had to replace it, and you do the W7 reinstall and that fails; you're looking at a Motherboard failure. Quite costly. Can run from $175-$600 US or so. It's often cheaper to replace the entire laptop with something brand new at that point. But, after you run through the testing, at least you'll know what's broken and get estimates from your local repair shop on how much it will cost to fix it and make the replace vs. buy decision on a more informed basis than you have now.

Best of luck,:D
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Next, you could be having a Windows general corruption problem or a virus/malware issue. Have you used your built-in AV to scan for viruses? If not, do that next and remove all viruses found. After that, download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware from piriform.com and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot the computer and retest the keyboard.

Best of luck,:D
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

MALWAREBYTES antispyware software is not available from piriform.com.

Back