Windows 8 No more upgrading for me!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just ordered a new computer and it will come with Windows 8 Pro installed.
I'm a pioneer whoo hoo!

I was configuring my computer yesterday and it still shipped with Windows 7.
Today I went back to go ever it again and they now list it as shipping with Windows 8!

I ordered a new Falcon Northwest Talon.

This one should do it until I'm 80!!!
Who knows if I'll need one after that!!! LOL

Intel Core i7 3820 3.6 Ghz. No Overclock.

Liquid Cooling.

1000 Watt power supply.

32 GB Tactical 1866 Hz Ram.

Geforce GTX 680 (4GB) Video Card,

Recon 3D Fatality Pro Sound Card.

Two Caviar Black 1 TB internal hard drives.

Two DVD CD drives.

And Windows 8 Professional!!!

Now I just have to sit around chewing my fingernails until it shows up.

Thank heavens the fixed our satellite dish yesterday.

No Computer and no TV is too much.

We won't have heat until next Monday but luckily the temps will be moderate for the rest of the week.

Once I have the data from my old computer transferred I'll find someone to fix it.
I promised to give it to my niece.

I'm also going to set it up so I have one big cord to pull to remove everything computer related from the power grid, and I'll unplug the Comcast cable too!!!

Mike

I should have noted that we got hit by lightning, for those that didn't see my post on the Windows 7 orum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike
Looks like a nice rig. I checked their site I may try them when it's time to replace this PC.
Joe

!
"This one should do it until I'm 80!!!
Who knows if I'll need one after that!!! LOL" Don't bank on it, Mike. I,m going on 79 and just warming up! - Just bought a new i7 laptop with an ssd!

Wow, there's someone older then I am here!

It makes me feel slightly less, near to death!

My present computer is a Falcon N W, I can't say enough about how good they are.
But apparently not lightning proof.
I'm going to send it back and have it repaired once I have the new one is set up.
Insurance will pay for it.

I decided to get a new monitor as well.
My 24" Dell is 7 years old.

I can't make up my mind whether I should go for a 27" with 2560 x 1440 res. or 120hz refresh at 1920 x 1080.
My new video card supports nVidia 3D Vision.

The problem is that when I find something there are reviews that say it's the greatest monitor ever and others saying it's a pice of junk.

Well if I buy it at Amazon they are good about taking stuff back.

I'm looking at two Asus monitors right now, there aren't a lot of choices in the high res. high refresh area.

Anyone have experience with Asus, I never had anything from them but Dell monitors get really bad press now.

Mike

Hi

I just ordered a new computer and it will come with Windows 8 Pro installed.
I'm a pioneer whoo hoo!

I was configuring my computer yesterday and it still shipped with Windows 7.
Today I went back to go ever it again and they now list it as shipping with Windows 8!

I ordered a new Falcon Northwest Talon.

This one should do it until I'm 80!!!
Who knows if I'll need one after that!!! LOL

Intel Core i7 3820 3.6 Ghz. No Overclock.

Liquid Cooling.

1000 Watt power supply.

32 GB Tactical 1866 Hz Ram.

Geforce GTX 680 (4GB) Video Card,

Recon 3D Fatality Pro Sound Card.

Two Caviar Black 1 TB internal hard drives.

Two DVD CD drives.

And Windows 8 Professional!!!

Now I just have to sit around chewing my fingernails until it shows up.

Thank heavens the fixed our satellite dish yesterday.

No Computer and no TV is too much.

We won't have heat until next Monday but luckily the temps will be moderate for the rest of the week.

Once I have the data from my old computer transferred I'll find someone to fix it.
I promised to give it to my niece.

I'm also going to set it up so I have one big cord to pull to remove everything computer related from the power grid, and I'll unplug the Comcast cable too!!!

Mike

I should have noted that we got hit by lightning, for those that didn't see my post on the Windows 7 orum.

I had lightning, well it wasn't even lightning but just static, take out a modem once. I saw the flash and the pc just went down. Anyway after replacing a fuse I got things going again but the modem was fried. You must have been hit with a real big bolt and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Mind you, that new pc goes a long way in making up for it.. :)

Well I finally decided on a monitor.
After days of research I decided on a ASUS VG Series VG278HE 27-Inch Monitor.

This monitor has a 144 Hz refresh rate and is designed to work with nVidia 3D Vision.
I was leaning toward the monitor with the 3D emitter built in, but I saw a lot of people having problems with the 3D part.

When I saw this monitor that doesn't have the 3D Vision built in but has all the capabilities I figured that will work.

I will buy the 3D kit separately so that if I have problems I don't have to send the monitor back just the 3D stuff.

I had 3D on my old CRT years ago, I expect this to be a lot better.
I've done a lot of 3D stuff myself, I do 3D animation and I'm looking forward to actually being able to see it in stereo.

Plus I spend a lot of time gaming that will be fun.

Now I have to figure out how to convert my stuff to the 3D Vision format.
I know it's possible but not how.

The computer is due in a couple of weeks the other stuff, monitor, surge protectors etc. will be here before that.

I checked all my external hard drives, 3 of them are fine, one is not being read.
The light just flashes but it doesn't connect.

I'll try again using Firewire instead of USB when I get my new computer set up.
That's how it was connected to the old computer.

But because I always save every thing to more then one drive I didn't lose anything major.

I have my converter, tomorrow I'll take the drives out of my old computer and see if I can read them.

I kind of keep putting this off, (I'm afraid of what I will find) but I have to find out sooner or later, I do have two jobs in progress that weren't backed up. I don't want to start over from scratch.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom