Windows 8 No Network Icon in 8.1 Notification Area or in Settings

Lee Michau

I was running 8.1 Enterprise and decided to try out Windows 10 Technical Preview, I think it was called. Didn't make recovery media. Didn't like it so I downloaded an .iso of 8.1 Pro onto a bootable USB drive using Rufus. The install worked fine except I cant connect wirelessly to the internet. I have no network icon in the notification area or under settings. Troubleshooter just shows that an ethernet cable is unplugged. Network and Sharing Center only shows an icon for the wired ethernet connection but shows no wireless connection options at all. Thought I might have a bad 8.1 iso so I downloaded and installed a second different .iso but still no wireless. Hope someone can please help.Thanks.

You'll need to download and install the drivers for your wireless adapter from the PC or device manufacturer's website.
Check Device manager, is it showing some hardware with issues?

Thanks. In device mgr.under Network Adapters only one adapter appears which is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Status shows this device is working properly. Then, underneath Network Adapters in the Other Devices section there's Network Controller.When I click on it it shows manufacturer unknown and device status shows "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28) and "There are no compatible drivers for this device. " Beneath Network Controller there's "PCI Device", "PCI Simple Communications Controller", "SM Bus Controller", and "Unknown Device". All for of those say "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)". I'm going to theToshiba website on my phone now to try and locate drivers.

Good luck.
Don't you have an option to connect with the wired connection until you can download and install the missing chipset and wireless drivers?

Thanks again. I downloaded the Intel Proset Wireless driver onto my phone and then transferred and installed it onto the laptop.All is well now.

Good news.
Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Back