No start button hacks for win 8 preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by kemical, May 31, 2012.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

According to a report carried by the Verge website, Microsoft are pulling legacy files from the os so that the start button hacks won't work.

Reference:

Microsoft reportedly working to block apps that re-enable the Windows 8 Start button | The Verge

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Jeeez, here we go again.
    You would think that they would leave well enough alone. There is obviously a need or at the very least a want, for these types of apps that will let you retrofit Win8 with whatever (read Start). It seems that Microsoft is being even more Microsoft like, in their my way or the highway decisions as to what we need or want in the form of a desktop UI.
    I mean what do they care what we do with our desktop version of the OS since it seems that their primary focus is on mobile devices. Are they worried that someone will place a Start Button on their Windows Phone 8 (RT) or their Windows 8 Slate (RT).
    Thanks Ross for giving me something else to rant about, but really why would they care? They don't want to put one (Start Button) on the desktop..... fine, no problem. But I really don't understand them closing the door on third party customization.
    Randy

3. kemical

I bet someone finds a way round this.. ;)

4. TheShadow

TheShadow New Member

I use ViStart and it works with the Preview Release.

5. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

6. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Classic is still working 100%. I think they were focusing on the registry hacks. I don't see how they will get around that. But it is, with so many third party start menu add-ons, a bit redundant anyway.

7. kemical

Well I'm still an advocate for the new way and like win 8 as was intended. The only extras I add are a restart and shutdown button for the start menu.