ihav0frnds

in vista, i was able to type a key phrase i knew existed in a document somewhere in the folder, and search would find that document. now when i search, it only seems to find documents named something. if i turn on "Always search file names and contents", it still does not find the documents. And now, quick searching (say for calculator) in the start bar search also takes forever. so because it takes so long to just search for calc, i just have "In index locations..." selected, which makes searching in start bar for apps quick, but it still doesn't solve the inability to search the actual content of my word docs.

Solution
To address the issue with searching for content within documents in Windows 7: 1. Indexing Options: - Check if the folders containing your documents are included in the indexing locations. - Go to Control Panel > Indexing Options and make sure the folders with your documents are included in the list of indexed locations. You can add specific folders if they are not included. 2. File Type Associations: - Ensure that the file types you are searching for (like Word documents) are associated correctly. - Go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program and verify that .doc or .docx files are associated with Microsoft Word. 3. Windows Search Service: - Sometimes the Windows Search...
To address the issue with searching for content within documents in Windows 7: 1. Indexing Options: - Check if the folders containing your documents are included in the indexing locations. - Go to Control Panel > Indexing Options and make sure the folders with your documents are included in the list of indexed locations. You can add specific folders if they are not included. 2. File Type Associations: - Ensure that the file types you are searching for (like Word documents) are associated correctly. - Go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program and verify that .doc or .docx files are associated with Microsoft Word. 3. Windows Search Service: - Sometimes the Windows Search service may encounter issues. Restarting the service can resolve certain search problems. - Open the Services snap-in (services.msc) from the Run dialog, locate Windows Search, right-click, and select Restart. 4. Advanced Search Options: - Use advanced search syntax to refine your search queries. For instance, use the following syntax in the search box: content: "your search term" to specifically search for document content. 5. File Types in Search Options: - Windows 7 Search Options allow you to customize search settings. - In Windows Explorer, go to Organize > Folder and search options > Search tab. Ensure that the correct file types are included in the search types for searching file content. 6. Rebuild Index: - If the issue persists, you may need to rebuild the search index. - Go to Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced, and click on Rebuild to recreate the search index from scratch. By checking these settings and ensuring that folders are correctly indexed, file associations are accurate, and the search service is functioning correctly, you should be able to search for content within your documents efficiently in Windows 7.

Solution
Back