Windows 7 Not Shutting down, hibernating, etc.

Ckennedy722

My laptop will no longer shut down, hibernate, or sleep.

When I choose to shut down the window sits at logging off, and will not change.
When I chose to hibernate/sleep it will sit at a black screen, but do nothing more. The fan still blows hard, and it will not come out of the "hibernate/sleep"

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium(64 bit) and my specs are:

Version: 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Model: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB
64-bit operating system

Also, my computer will successfully shut down when I am running it in safe mode (which I am doing now, with networking enabled).

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'm no whiz when it comes to computers, so if I am missing any information just tell me.

EDIT: I just remembered I had this issue when I first installed Windows 7. Then after a 2 days it started to work properly. Now it has started again, but this time it has continued for about 5 days.

Last edited:
Wake up from sleep mode gives a black screen

If my desktop PC goes into sleep mode Win 7 Pro, it wakes up with no video just a black screen (no desktop) with fans running. I have to do a hard restart to get Win 7 to return with a normal desktop. All Win 7 updates have been applied including the one relating to the described problem.

I'm guessing this is a video driver sleep / wake problem with Win 7. There are many users reporting this isssue, but I have found no solution.

Back