Windows 10 Random shut downs

kgash

Extraordinary Member
Recently I have been getting random shut downs (crashes), especially when playing simple Mahjongg type games. These crashes are now becoming more frequent and are extremely annoying. I tried to test the system using FurMark stress tester and it immediately crashed the system.

The problem is getting progressively worse. To start after the crash I have to turn off the PC completely then after turning it back on, hit the power button. Last time it would not start and I had to turn it off and on again to get it to restart.

I checked Task Manager and Event Viewer logs and found that I am getting constant WMI-Activity errors which I understand are the result of another process on my system behaving badly. I cannot find what the other process is. It may be a problem with my GPU. Here are my system specs

Windows 10 home 64
AMD Ryzen 5 CPU
ASRock B45o Pro4 MOBO
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe PCIe
AMC Radeon RX 5700 DirectX 12 RX 5700 EVOKE
16 GB DDR4 DRAM
EVGA 650 B5 PSU

A system is going to shutdown for one of three reasons
  • Power loss (obviously)
  • Over heating
  • Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

Power Loss
This one is pretty obvious and other electronics would be off

Over heating
If they happen more frequently after the system has been on awhile this certainly an issue.
Grab a tool that shows temp sensors like speed fan and monitor the temps. CPUs can get up to 75-80C under load if it's getting in the 90C+ then you have an overheating CPU and the system probably needs to be cleaned and new thermal paste applied under the heat sink.

BSOD
These are mostly due to buggy drivers, but can also occur due to operating system corruption, or hardware problems.
If the system is configured to save the dumps they will be here C:\Windows\Minidump

Back
Top Bottom