Windows 7 [NOT solved anymore] Problems with transparency and other aero effects

Username2Taken

Hello, since the last Window 7 update (october 10th) on my computer, aero themes are no longer working and are "greyed out" as shown on the picture below (i can't click on them or select them):
perso.png

I have already tried the following steps to attempt to fix this problem, without success:

1)clicking on "troubleshoot problems with transparency and other aero effects":
troubleshooting.JPG

it detected the following problems:
_the actual theme doesn't support aero -> sure, but i'm unable to pick one that does in personalize
_Desktop Window Manager Session Manager is disabled

But when i go to services.msc, the manager is displayed as started and configured to start automatically. Restarting it didn't solve the problem. The same goes for Themes.
gestionnaire de gestionnaire de gestion.JPG

Its configurations as shown in cmd are as follows:
cmd gestionnaire.JPG

Could there be a problem here?

2) I looked at this thread, my problem didn't come from there (see picture above," dependencies" in themes are empty)

3) This is an interesting one, i followed the steps suggested on this webpage.
Adding the following DWORDs in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM did originally solve my problem
regedit tunning.JPG

But after rebooting my PC on the following day, the problem was back and the dwords where (and are) still here. Maybe this can somehow help someone to figure the problme out?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Edit: for some reason it won't let me submit this post to the 'official' microsoft q&a forum, does anyone know why?

Last edited:
That's really just controlled by the themes service. You may want to try running some repair commands if restarting the service isn't working.

sfc /scannow
and
chkdsk c: /R

That's really just controlled by the themes service. You may want to try running some repair commands if restarting the service isn't working.

sfc /scannow
and
chkdsk c: /R

The file checker didn't find anything:
scannow.JPG

Checkdisk repaired some files in the USN journal, but the problem is still here.

Hello, since the last Window 7 update (october 10th) on my computer, aero themes are no longer working and are "greyed out" as shown on the picture below (i can't click on them or select them):
Have you tried updating the gpu driver?

Have you tried updating the gpu driver?
It is up to date.

After a bit of research, i finally found the real source of the problem: my paranoid antivirus quarantined the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager:
aviretard.png

This may also explain why the troubleshooting wizard detected the manager as disabled in spite of the fact of it being theoretically activated in services.

After restoring it and rebooting my PC everything went back to normal.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• aviretard.png
    aviretard.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 283
(finally) SOLVED: with the latest windows update (11/2018), everything went back to normal, so the problem was definitely there.

i don't seem to be able to update my oldest replies and the post title anymore, could a moderator update the title to [solved]?

Back