Windows 7 Notes on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - Installed Early This Morning

cyberbiker

Honorable Member
Win7SP1 came up as a Windows automatic update last night so I installed it and have done three restarts and one more "check for updates" now to insure it has settled down. For major updates it is a good idea to watch the CPU Usage History graph in the Performance Tab of Task Manager so you know when all processes and services are fully loaded. I keep a shortcut to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe in the Start Menu>All Programs>Startup Folder so it automatically opens whenever Windows restarts.

Windows7 Home Premium x64 took about 3 min 7 secs to fully load. It appears SP1 has added about a minute to that as the CPU Usage History graph doesn't flatline for 4 min 2 secs. I load 70 processes, but that will vary for each user based on the software installed.

It took a while to find the release notes and a list of the 796 hotfixes and security updates included in SP1. They can be downloaded at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=61924cea-83fe-46e9-96d8-027ae59ddc11&displaylang=en

So far everything seems to be working great.

My update of SP1 has been running now for 45 minutes and it still says Stage 1 of 2 ... how long does it take? Will I have to force shutdown?

Did you keep up with all MS updates prior to installing SP1, the more updates it had to install will effect the time from user to user.

after another half hour I could see that it was stuck in a loop. So I did a forced shutdown and rebooted. It did come back to where is was and proceeded to complete the SP1 update.

All is well now. :)

Did you keep up with all MS updates prior to installing SP1, the more updates it had to install will effect the time from user to user.
Yep. Windows Update is set to check for updates daily. SP1 was an 86MB file. The update took around 20 minutes.

The time I was talking about in the OP was the regular restart time after SP1. It seems more like 3 min 47 secs now.

Last edited:
The only problem I experienced since installing SP1 was that I got a loud audio feedback and a frozen mouse for several seconds a couple times a day. It occurred when I was listening to music or podcasts with the latest versions of iTunes and Realplayer.

To fix it I went to Realtek and updated the Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver to R2.57 dated Jan 25, 2011. Haven't had a recurrence since.

Back