Windows 7 Notification Area Icons

sparker781

I have completely removed several apps using Revo Uninstaller so I know its been completely removed, yet somehow it still remains in the Notification Area Icons area...(The place to turn the icons on or off....) Is there any way to clean this up so the old icons from applications that at one point were installed but arent?

try a rebuild of the iconcache:

goto control panel, folder options, view, Unhide protected files and show hidden files. Navigate to c:\users\xxx\appdata\local (where xxx is your user name. Delete the file iconcache.db, navigate back and reboot.

CCleaner gives you an option to clear the System tray (Notification area) icons:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

But in my experience, on Windows 7, the CCleaner method of clearing the notification area is a bit hit or miss. The manual method of using a small registry hack and then stopping and starting Explorer however, works every time.
Copy and save this code as a .reg file.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
"IconStream"=-
"PastIconsStream"=-
Open Task Manager (R-click taskbar for a Start option) to the processes tab in preparation.
Now merge the .reg file you created into your registry.
Back to the Task Manager. Under the processes tab highlight Explorer.exe and click on end process. Then on the Task Manager menu bar click File then New Task (Run...). Type Explorer.exe in the Open: window and press enter.

Be aware that both methods restore default settings to all the notification area icons so your display preferences will need to be re-set.

Back
Top Bottom