Windows 7 Novice in deep trouble...

charlie

I did the W7 as an upgrade to Vista. I'm having major BSOD issues and constant auto-reboots, I can't seem to figure out what is triggering the BSOD, it just suddenly appears and then reboots the computer.

I would like to reinstall W7 or go back to Vista, however when I try to run the particular CD I get an error message that says essentially that the path is not available or I don't have the rights to it. In the user control panel I am the administrator. I have looked in device manager and have no ! points or apparent issues, the properties tabs tell me that the hardware is working properly.

I'm an older fellow and totally frustrated and realize I'm in way over my head, ANY help would be greatly appreciated...I would even pay for a solution. Perhaps email would be a good way to work.....

[email protected]

Thank you in advance for your help....

I did the W7 as an upgrade to Vista. I'm having major BSOD issues and constant auto-reboots, I can't seem to figure out what is triggering the BSOD, it just suddenly appears and then reboots the computer.

I would like to reinstall W7 or go back to Vista, however when I try to run the particular CD I get an error message that says essentially that the path is not available or I don't have the rights to it. In the user control panel I am the administrator. I have looked in device manager and have no ! points or apparent issues, the properties tabs tell me that the hardware is working properly.

I'm an older fellow and totally frustrated and realize I'm in way over my head, ANY help would be greatly appreciated...I would even pay for a solution. Perhaps email would be a good way to work.....

[email protected]

Thank you in advance for your help....

have your tried running the dvd from boot , make sure boot from cd is enabled in the BIOS ;)

I don't have time to get the exact message as I'm heading for work....but....something like.....you don't have access to the path or drive and may not have adequate permission......I'm the admin for this computer, but not sure what all that means.
I will look up the exact message when I get home this afternoon...

thanks man!

I'd suggest going into your BIOS and making sure it's set so that you can boot from your dvd drive (remember, the windows 7 iso is too big for just a regular cd), then insert the windows 7 disc and boot up from it, format the partition you'll be installing to, then proceed with the install. Upgrading isn't a bad thing, it just usually presents problems such as the one your having... ;)

Now, if that still won't work than perhaps your ISO is corrupt... You said you tried from boot? What happened when you tried this? Did the screen just stay blank or was there an error code that came up?.. Did it actually start the installation process than the error came up or did the error come up as soon as the dvd started to spin? From what you said in your original post it doesn't sound like it's even booting off of the dvd... Which is a pretty good indication that you need a new ISO.. OR the BIOS settings aren't correct... Once I know a little bit more information it'll be easier to diagnose and solve this issue for you... ;)

If your ISO is in fact corrupt than the solution would be to obtain a new one, either from sources I won't mention ;) OR from someone you know that has the Beta and would maybe lend it to you or something like that... It's not uncommon for ISO's to become corrupt.. either during the burning process or afterwards.. it is rather annoying though... :)

Also, which build are you trying to install? Build 7000 is the Beta that was released to the public.. any build after that is an interim/daily build, none of which are ment to be released to the pulic.. they were all leaked....

Last edited:
I don't have time to get the exact message as I'm heading for work....but....something like.....you don't have access to the path or drive and may not have adequate permission......I'm the admin for this computer, but not sure what all that means.
I will look up the exact message when I get home this afternoon...

thanks man!

as radenight says you may have a corrupt disc :frown:

In simple terms you are not in a windows environment when booting from a disc so there are very few error messages possible as this is all happening in a DOS environment until you get to the installer package supplied with whatever Operating System you are trying to install :)

can chat on MSN if your really stuck ?

Sounds like a boot issue. Do you have an old Windows XP disk lying around? Or a 98SE Floppy disk?
If so, try booting to one of those, formatting with it, hitting the reset button on the tower when it's done, then reloading Windows 7.

reformat

Following Kyle's suggestion I was able to re-install W7, however even after adding the updates from MS it crashes even more than the original install.

I would like to reformat my hard drive and re-install my Vista OS, would anyone be able to give me a step by step on this? I did a google search but there were a couple of conflicting options and I do want to screw things up any worse than I already have! :(

Thanks Guys

Back
Top Bottom