Windows 7 Num Lock Does Not Work

rvjimzhr

I have a Pavilion dv-6 2155dx laptop. Windows 7. It's worked fine until recently. I have rebooted many times No change. The ON/OFF bell seems to work ok but the number pad does not work correctly. It does "strange" things now. Some keys do "something" and others do not as follows:

/ types a slash
* types an asterisk
- types a minus sign
+ types a plus sign
ENTER seems to be ok
7, 8, 9, 4, 6, 1, 2, 3, DEL do nothing
5 UNhighlights anything highlighted in a browser search bar. If nothing is highlighted then 5 does one of several things: brings up PAGE NAVIGATION option, moves flashing cursor one space to left OR causes flashing cursor to disappear altogether.
0 seems to now and then cause the flashing cursor to disappear.

This has got to be something easy that I probably accidentally screwed up. I have searched online for a solution to no avail. I have tried to go into BIOS but directions I found did not get me to menus described to me. Hopefully someone can set me straight. Thanks in advance!

Jim

UPDATE: I use this laptop with a wireless keyboard. Problems with number pad are same on both keyboards. Tried On Screen Keyboard...it seems to work fine. Hope this helps.

Here's the answer to my problem: Control Panel>Ease of Access>Change How Your Keyboard Works>Control The Mouse With The Keyboard> UNCHECK THIS BOX.

I don't remember or why or even if I checked the box but my girlfriend sat down with me today and we stumbled on that as the solution. Now my keypad works just fine.

After finally phoning HP Support as well as posting on their Forum, I'm not real impressed with either.

Again, THANKS for trying to help me out here!

Back