Windows XP Numerous Outlook Express emails disappeared from my Inbox

conceptualclarity

I'm trying to wind down my days on my old XP. I had its original hard drive die. I replaced it with a refurbished one and got professional recovery from DriveSavers. On their advice I'm backing up the 500 GB Touro hard drive they sent me with the recovered data (which I've whittled down to about 65 GB or so) and about 35 GB more I've added.

I'm trying to back up all that 100 GB of data to a 128 GB Lexar flash drive I got for $40. To copy the files I had to get a special freeware, Unstoppable Copier. It was going on for many hours Wednesday. My system got pretty tight, and I conducted a very difficult shutdown of Outlook Express. Then about an hour later while closing down Maxthon browser I got a blue screen at the worst of times meaning I'd have to start all over on the backup.

After the blue screen, after the next reboot I discovered a huge amount of fresh emails that had already downloaded to my Inbox were gone. I called my cable company and retrieved a fair number from their server, but an estimated 60 or so were not retrieved. There may have been valuable personal messages or highly valuable messages of another nature. Could they still be somewhere on my computer, maybe in Inbox.dbx? Do you think I could hunt them down with one of those data recovery softwares that are so abundant? If so which one has good tech support as well as being an effective program?

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller

You don't need special software to copy files to a USB thumbdrive. I never heard of DriveSavers for backup software. I would recommend using Aomei Backupper, it's free and GUI friendly and real easy to use. With it you can back up all or part of your system....to include just the OS or any or all of your personal data.

As for your BSOD, post that in the BSOD topic forum and let Kemical check that out for you....but I have a sneaky suspicion that it's software related.

Back