Windows 7 nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding but has recovered

mmisztal1980

This annoying vista bug persist on my copy of Windows 7 Beta. The screen freezes, goes black, restores - starts showing choppy graphics and frequently gives me a BSOD.

My setup :

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4
4 Gig RAM
Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GT 512Mb w SilentPipe
450W PSU, but I can replace it with a 1kW PSU at any time if needed.

This error has been giving me a VERY hard time on vista, SP1 nor any patches nor file swapping didn't help - it is why I've switched to Windows7 - I couldn't get rid of it no matter what - and now it's back, are there any workarounds to this?

I'm starting to get this error a lot as well. Tried the beta drivers and all. I think my brother's computer using Vista Ultimate x64 is getting the same thing every now and then, but for me I'm getting this a lot.

I am running Windows 7 x64 (7077) and have been getting this BSOD, too.
I have the beta Nvidia drivers installed, and am running a GTX 260.

It seems to be reproducible too, as I have had the same error across two different clean installs of Win7.

The one thing I've noticed is that by waiting a little longer on the user/password screen, the chances of a BSOD are reduced. This is just a guess, though. There's not really a whole lot we can do until Nvidia releases new drivers, though.

I haven't had any visual problems, but ever since the last nvidia driver update a couple weeks ago, the action center has occasionally been reporting issues with the video driver .

I've had the same problem using an 8800GTX - updated to the beta drivers from Nvidia but had this BSOD a couple of times. Once playing The Godfather II (before updating drivers) and a couple after when running GrabIt.

I had this with vista and I gave up using it, installed Windoes 7 rc and it worked for the first evening, day after (today) i got a different error but it looks the same as the other one get all kinds of bugs on the the screen then everything freezes up, dont know how long people will have to wait till Nvidia fixes this problem since I see that people have been having this problem for a long time now, I cant stand not being able to even watch a movie on my computer, can hardly move my mouse without it freezing on me, but I did find a solution to be able to at least read the news on the internet by lowering the resolution to highest 16 bit, but I cant watch a movie or nothing still, and im getting fed up with this error.

mmisztal1980,

Weren't you given thje option from Windows Update to download a WDM for your graphic card?

For all of you having this problem, I'd try to locate a Windows Driver Model (WDM) for your specific card.

I've got a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT w/ 512 MB memory and it's worked fine on Vista and Windows 7

Same problem - I have a GeForce 8500 GT and its all good till I run Media Center and watch live TV - driver stops responding and restarting, screen goes all grainy. Just upgraded to 8.15.11.8585 but no difference. Cranked all the NVIDIA performance related config settings to the most basic available and no difference. Was fine with Vista although Vista used the Leadtek TV tuner card drivers - Windows 7 handles it natively but apparently badly. :-(

I am currently using a GeForce 8800 GT 512MB and am having the same problem. Tried reformatting and re-installing, multiple different NVIDIA drivers none worked. Have not found anyway to reduce the driver failures. I do have a friend who has a 9800 GT and his is working fine. No idea what the problem could be if it is not drivers.

@reghakr, I've been having the same issue with my 8400M GS... Do you think using google to search for a WDM for my card will do the trick? Are there any other measures I can take to resolve this problem?

Updating my BIOS/CMOS as well as mobo chipset for my intel processor seemed to fix my problem.

I have the very same problem, and I love to do that but I've never heard of those. What shall I do? How can I do it? Should I call an expert to do it for me?

Here are the possible solutions I've found:

-update drivers (didn't help, but will try with the driver cleaner thing too)
-use VGA cables with adapter instead of PCI cable (it doesn't seem logical)
-Weak PSU - I use lots of things: track IR, joystick, Rudder, throttle quadrant, I'll check waht kind of PSU I have. Might be the solution...
-update BIOS & CPU chipset - what does that mean?

Back