Windows 7 Older HP desktop moving slower

BlackMailedAgai

Extraordinary Member
HP KZ854AV-ABA m9300t
4g Ram
300g HDD with@150g in use
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD Radeon HD 6450

So, it's been moving slower. Used Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, Windows is updated, use updated Firefox and I have done what I can to not over addon the browser, It's been noticeably slowing down, online and offline after an hour or two of use. At this point I use CCleaner and restart. Using Task Manager, I see no unknown programs running. So, could it be that the computer is just old and I need to seek out a newer version, or can I bandage this one up to use it for a while longer? If I can salvage this, it would help as financially, I cannot drop the money to get something new-ish (Old guy on disability).

Suggestions would be appreciated (fairly simple ones if possible). Thank you.

bma … nice to hear from you … s'been a while.

the others will be along shortly … just figured i'd offer you couple pointers? and thanks for elaborating so well on your environment … this always helps the other guys sort things out.

nice to hear you've been updating win-os religiously. i am assuming you bought the computer with win-7 already installed? purportedly, microsoft will continue supporting win-7 until beginning of 2020 (extended support) … this allows you a couple more years. however, i would advise, once their support ends … that you seriously consider replacing your setup. your particular model (hp pavilion elite m9300t) was first introduced in 2008 … wearing the win-vista badge.

let's talk security for a moment. you stated that you had used malwarebytes 'n windows-defender"used" is past-tense … do you still use them both? and you update their references files religiously? when talking "malwarebytes" … you are referring to their anti-malware product (not anti-virus), i assume? the vast majority of computers, during that time, were packaged with norton anti-virus … you did not mention norton, bma … did you uninstall it?

let's talk firefox for a moment … you regularly clear the cache? how about removing cookies? personally, i leave my history alone … but some like to clear their history often. still talking firefox … the browser offer a safe mode … have you ever tried it's safe-mode? you can also start firefox with all add-ons disabled. had you noticed any speed increases accessing the internet during these engagements?

finally … there's an option, in firefox, which disables "auto-play" for flash-based content … this may help in your particular situation. with the latest security enhancements … browsers are doing away with flash and offering html5 protocol for media. theoretically … you might consider uninstalling flash's plug-in … same goes for java's plug-in. these are both known security risks.

300gb-drive … 150gb used up. the total 300gb is on one partition? when's the last time you invoked windows cleanup utility? after cleaning, you should open the same utility a second time … this time choose "clean system files" (this option resides at bottom of interface). have you ever defragmented the drive? if someone suggests cleaning your registry, don't listen to them. never altering/cleaning the registry probably will do more harm than good.

still with your hard-drive … how about system restore-points … have you taken a look lately? depending on how long your computer is powered up … those restore-points can accrue like a plague … they also take up lots of valuable real-estate on your hard-drive. personally, i'd remove all the restore-points and then create a new one. this should be done before using windows cleanup utility and before defragmenting.

make sure you have backed up all your personal files … in case your computer dies. this also may include things like your browser's history 'n bookmarks.

after removing all those restore-points and cleaning/defragmenting … i'd consider looking at all the programs installed on your computer. not only do they take up space … they also host processes that can slow one's computer down. however, before uninstalling … make sure you reboot. take screen-captures of the add/remove programs interface … before and after uninstalling … keep only the programs you actually use. if i recall … hp installs lots of bloatware before handing over the computer to the consumer.

oh! booting up the computer initiates many start-up processes 'n programs … command-line "msconfig" can show you which processes start at boot. if you are handy with windows "services" interface, you might take a peek inside … but this is mostly for techies. same goes for software called "autoruns" by sysinternals … best save this one for techies as well.

since we're touching bases with sysinternals … allow me to make another suggestion, bma. and this came to me from member neemobeer originally. a program called "process-explorer" … it packs quite a punch. the program even correlates (in real time) with virustotal.com by alerting you to, what could be, unhealthy processes running awol. and the utility does way more than that!

before closing … one last thought. a program called "rogue-killer" … you might wish to check it out … it's helped me when malwarebytes overlooked some suspects (pum's 'n pup's). in your case, i'd probably use it once and then uninstall it.

as always … any software you download … make sure you get the official server (root source) … straight from the developer. on same note … no matter where you obtain the file … have virustotal.com inspect the link and file … before you download. once you download, throw wd and mbam at the package … they need to give you clean bill of health.

that's all from me, bma … if you do any of the pointers i offered … you might indicate so in your next post. for the most part, your environment sounds healthy … windows-defender is not so bad … it's integrated and designed to be part of the system.

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
Process Explorer
RogueKiller Anti-Malware Free Download - Official Website

Wow. That's a lot of info. Thank you.
Most I basically understand...bma, however is unknown to me. I use Malwarebytes and WD weekly, CCleaner several times a day. I received the computer a coupe years ago from my son when my Dell failed to perform after several years, so it came with programs he added and removed. My tech knowledge is all self-taught and limited, so I really don't know about partitions and their need. I have already pruned my start programs and don't have anything running I don't recognize or need (afaik). My son use CCleaner on my registry a couple weeks ago, so I cannot do much with that (perhaps he made a backup).

Again, thanks for the in-depth response. I will be re-reading this for a while.

i shortened your name … and for that i profusely apologize. i used bma rather than BlackMailedAgai … thinking back now, i gotta' chuckle a bit.

dell makes good computers. my first was ibm … second was dell … and, now this one, toshiba (laptop). each of the predecessors lasted pretty near ten years. off-hand, BlackMailedAgai … seems to me you are rocking 'n rolling. i admit, just last week, to using easeus partitioner … because my e:\ drive was beginning to show "bones underneath the skin" (manner of speaking/idiom/analogy).

hope the remainder of your week turns out great.

Back