Windows 7 On Board LAN Card no longer detected

mackeydesigns

I've been running this mobo since the first RC came out. No issues with card or anything. I've been running a valid Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate RTM installation for almost 2 weeks now, no issues.

It first happened this morning when I opened up my PC from sleep mode and noticed i had no network connections, I went to work, came home, fiddled around with my modem and router and got it back online. I left for dinner, again came back to sleep mode and once again, had no network connection via a wired connection.

However, this time, my LAN card was missing from the device manager after a reboot, I'm forced back onto wireless for the time being, but would love to get back on a wired connection, however, after many attempts, a few tries at adding it manually, i cannot get connection via my on board card.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2001, 7/11/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Mackey-PC\Mackey
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.94 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.87 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.63 GB
Page File Space 2.94 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Mobo is Asus P5B - the network adapter is RTL8111B PCI-E Gb LAN

I'm pretty stumped, I have no idea what else to do. I updated my systems BIOS just last week.

seems odd that a good brand mobo and equally rock solid ethernet card brand would have such issues...in fact I'm sure thats same ethernet in mine and thats pushing 3 years old.

Unfortunately a system restore didn't work, I restored it back to a few days ago and still no card/adapter being recognized. It's frustrating to know that there pretty much isn't anything else I can do except maybe go buy a new NIC card.

Any other ideas?

Tried in dev manager to show hidden devices? if its's there do a remove driver option and should redetect and work.

Tried in dev manager to show hidden devices? if its's there do a remove driver option and should redetect and work.

This is what shows under Hidden Devices:

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (my wireless PCI card that i had to re-install for now, this isn't hidden)
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
RAS Async Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (SSTP)

I do not see anything else in the other drop downs.

It may be that the device/motherboard has a defect as this is an 'onboard' device yes? I'd try re-installing the os in case files have become corrupted and if it still doesn't work, use your warranty and replace the mobo.
As highwayman says it's a common device found on many motherboards (including mine) and should just work without a hitch..

I did find another post on the subject and I'll post it here just in case it may help:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/1933-problems-realtek-rtl8111b-nic.html

It may be that the device/motherboard has a defect as this is an 'onboard' device yes? I'd try re-installing the os in case files have become corrupted and if it still doesn't work, use your warranty and replace the mobo.
As highwayman says it's a common device found on many motherboards (including mine) and should just work without a hitch..

I did find another post on the subject and I'll post it here just in case it may help:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/1933-problems-realtek-rtl8111b-nic.html

Well, I've used this onboard through a few different versions of Vista, and now a few different versions of Win7. I have a feeling whatever happened during the sleep mode (which I'm reading is a huge issue among other problems directly related to networking).

The mobo is 2+ years old, and it's past its prime, it would be too costly for me to warranty this mobo, than just go buy a new one at Fry's or Newegg.

I found that other link as well, but he actually has his device detected and working, just poor signal... mine just completely won't detect.

I must say the first thing I always disable is Sleep/Hybernate features, they are pointless on desktops.

I have almost the exact problem!!

I've been using Windows 7 with no problems with my Asus P5B.

I use the two onboard ethernet ports to share internet with the rest of the house.

I left for vacation last week and came back this week and now one of the ethernet ports is no longer detecting that there is a cabled plugged in.

for Ethernet port 1, i have the ethernet cable straight from my cable modem going into it.
for Ethernet port 2, I have port 1 shared so that it goes to my switch and then can be shared with my xbox.

For some reason, port 2 no longer recognizes that there is a ethernet cable plugged in.

I've switched the cables, plugging my cable modem in port 2 and port 1 to my switch, but that the same thing happens, with port 2 connecting to the internet and port 1 not detecting my cable.

I've even tried to use a different cable.

Was there some sort of update that happened that I missed while on vacation? I left my computer on (i always leave it on), so it is possible that it went to sleep like the parent post, but I don't really know.

I have no idea what to do next, other than verify that my switch isn't broken somehow, but I don't think that's the problem since windows 7 won't even display the second Ethernet port anymore on Network and Sharing Center.

I'm open to all comments, ideas, guesses and otherwise.

edit: I should mention that Device Manager shows both ethernet ports as present and working properly.

Last edited:
Back