Windows 7 On x64 OS i'll get more performance using x86 softwares?

gabiibag

Hi there! I would like to know if on a x64 Operating System I'll get more performance from the x86 softwares than the x64 versions... I have Windows x64 and 4 GB of ram...and if i'll use a software such as Autodesk Maya....i'll get more performance on Maya x86 than Maya x64? Does Maya x86 use only 2 GB of RAM so this means that it will move slower because it won't use the entire amount of 4 GB of ram????? Like the x64 version does? Thankyou anticipated!

It will be able to use the additional RAM for data but how often, if ever it might need more 2gb is questionable. The software itself, being a 32 bit product is unlikely to perform noticeably quicker as all the associated routines will be based on 32 execution and transfers. In all I think it is unlikely that you will see any overall improvement.

Again, straight to the point & in a nutshell...

IF, there's opportunity and the hardware & OS support x64, GO x64.

Cheers,
Drew

More & more software companies (& at least 1 browser, Waterfox) are going to 64 bit installs. And I'm for one, glad of it. 64 bit computing isn't some new, weird, alien idea that just came out the door, it's been available for consumer use since at least 2005 (XP Pro 64 bit). Only 7 years ago.
icon5.gif

For business/corporate/server use, it's been around longer than that.

Although more 64 bit software is available to us now, than when Windows 7 was released, there's still a long way to go. But we're getting there. I feel that when XP's support ends, support for 32 bit computers/software will go south fast.

Hopefully, shortly after then, a 128 bit CPU will be introduced.

Cat

Expect to see 64 & 128 in Windows9. Release - end of 2015
That will be great! Looking forward to having a 128 bit CPU.

That will also be the time that I'll probably buy a new desktop. But I won't jump at the first 128 bit one offered, I'll be doing some reading on users experiences as to what to buy. It won't be a impulse purchase.

Cat

very interesting... but i think that will be very difficult to buy a new CPU with a new computing technology (128 bit)... because this will force you to buy new hardware such as mainboard, RAM... .The FSB, the CPU architecture (probably 16 nm :)) and the CPU Socket will evolve and you'll remain behind very far from the technology so this means that you should buy a new PC all in all said :(.

Last edited:
very interesting... but i think that will be very difficult to buy a new CPU with a new computing technology (128 bit)... because this will force you to buy new hardware such as mainboard, RAM... .The FSB, the CPU architecture (probably 16 nm :)) and the CPU Socket will evolve and you'll remain behind very far from the technology so this means that you should buy a new PC all in all said :(.
That's fine with me, as that's what I intend to do. The 128 bit PC's will be high at first, just as the 64 bit ones were. But in time, usually with the next Windows release, they go with the new & out with the old.

Windows 9 will probably get a taste of 128 bit computing, but Windows 10 is when we'll all be buying 128 bit computers, running 64 bit software. 32 bit software (or x86) is going to hit the curb at that point, as far as any new software being written. Because it's going to be a difficult task for developers to write software for 3 ongoing platforms. One will have to go.

That doesn't mean that 32 bit computing will be dead, but it will be treated as XP is now. Very little new software from MS written for it. It will die off own it's own that way.

Cat

Cat

Back
Top Bottom