Windows 7 ONLY firefox working

total90

I have firefox, google chrome and IE in my windows 7 but i dont know why right now only firefox is working.
chrome and IE will show up like if i wasnt connected to the internet.

All 3 programs worked fine the other day but suddenly 2 of them stopped working.

any idea whats going on? Thanks!

hmmm they had and have no proxy settings... coz it was working fine, but just out of nowhere chrome and IE stopped working...

Things to try:

1. Do a system restore to a time that all was dandy.

2. Go to Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\ Click the Reset button.

3. Try un-checking everything in LAN settings, hit 'OK'. Then go back into LAN settings and check 'Automatically detect settings' while leaving the other 2 blank. After hitting OK, IE should come back to life.

4. DNS client needs to be active for it to work. go to start>control panel>admin tools>services; and look for DNS client. now highlight it by right clicking>properties - set startup type to automatic, then set service status to start.

Hey Zvit. :) Good posts guys!

Actually, DNS Client service isn't needed. All it does is cache dns requests for future use. I disable this service on all my machines, and any machine I work on for family/friends etc...

I think your #2 suggestion is the easy way of fixing this and will work. If not, then OP, I would go to I.E. - Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan settings

to double check that there are no boxes checked (removing all is best.) If any, remove any/all. Ok your way out. Close I.E. and test the machine.

---

If no help there, please tell us whether or not mdnsresponder.exe is in the task manager.

Last edited:
Hey! I'd like to ask you about this because it's interesting what you are saying.
I configured my services via Blackviper's suggestions, even when I had XP. I love his site, Black Viper's Web Site
Now according to him, disabling the DNS Client is in the "Bare Bones" category. http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm
Furthermore, I read, "Only in extreme situations should you disable this service as caching DNS lookups reduces network traffic and makes internet surfing performance faster." Link Removed - Invalid URL and that is the only reason I have in enabled. Are you saying that it can be disabled without any issues?

Ah yes. All that is correct, to a certain extent. I run a special tool to find the quickest dns servers for me (or location I'm at.) Then I set the router to make all requests to the fastest server, always.

Very often, it is much much faster than even the ISP's dns servers! I like to disable caching because then there is no chance of poisoning or just plain normal errors.

Here is the utility I use to find fast dns servers that are free to use. Opendns is extremely fast but there are many others. Right now, my routers are using 4.2.2.6 for dns requests.

Attachments

• DNSBench.rar
    142.4 KB · Views: 187
Thanks for the info!
We at work have a static IP from our ISP. So I guess I can't do this... or am I mistaken?

Of course you can. :) I have static ips for all my machines and game systems.

You can use any dns server at all, in two different manners.

1) You can leave the router alone and change no settings. Then in Windows (or game machine's network settings etc..) where you set the ip address, just enter the quickest dns server there for preferred dns server.

2) The better way I like to do is set the static ip address settings in Windows or game machine - enter the router ip address for the preferred dns server.

Then in the router WAN settings, enter the fastest dns server for the dns address.

This way, you can enter any new address at any time that will affect all machines, with minimal effort.

hmmm they had and have no proxy settings... coz it was working fine, but just out of nowhere chrome and IE stopped working...

Proxy tools sometimes have compatibility issues. Browsers have different configuration settings for that. By the way, what proxy management tools do you use?

Actually, DNS Client service isn't needed. All it does is cache dns requests for future use. I disable this service on all my machines, and any machine I work on for family/friends etc....

One of the first ones I disable as well. In fact, when I used a Host File Manager it used to keep nagging me to turn DNS Client off if I hadn't already done so.

Last edited:
Back