Windows 7 opaque white screen and browser lock up

jst42daytoo

I have W7 Pro upgrade from XP Pro.
Occasionally when browsing in IE8 or FF3 the screen becomes an opaque white and the browser locks up.
I need to use the Task Manager to close the browser. Sometimes the TM has trouble closing the browser.
This takes place if I'm doing something such as opening a new tab.
Is there a way to fix this?
I have an E8400 CPU, GeForce 8600 video card, 1TB hard drive, 4G's RAM and use a broadband connection.
The system is 32 bit.
Thanks.
J

cybercore is exactly right.............

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There is a poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile.

I get the same thing occasionally. I suspect it is a combination of all of the flash and other crap on web pages and the assorted security software all working at the same time. Think about it you've got anitvirus, anitspyware, firewall, windows defender.This also seems like a problem that started the last few weeks. Maybe some MS update.
Joe

Thanks all of you.
When I said I did an XP upgrade, I mean I did it the way that was recommended. A clean install.
I would not want to have to put W7 on top of XP.
And yes, the problem started recently.
It could be related to an MS update or it could be from a video card that isn't really very good anymore.
Time for a new card anyway.
Thanks.
J

I just had another one after if resets the only thing in the logs at the time are entries in Security there are 2 successful audits. One is event id 4624 logon the second event id 4672 special logon both with same time. Nothing at that time in windows applications or setup. This seems to be only in the past couple of weeks.
Joe

I had another one this morning with firefox. I've been doing some thinking and think I updated adobe flash not a fresh install about the time this started. I uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller and then ran Cceaner rebooted and reinstalled. I'll have to wait and see if this helps. It's aggravating because it is so erratic and there is nothing helpful in Event Log.
Joe

I hope this gives somebody a good clue as to what's causing this to happen.
I have noticed that when the opaque white screen and lockup occur I get a rectangulat pop up saying 'Java Platform Standard'.
Also, if I remember correctly, this whole thing seems to happen only when I have the browser sandboxed using Sandboxie.
Thanks.
J.

I've done everything that has been suggested.
Still the problem exists on an irregular basis.
It's affecting FF and IE8.
I've been Googling this and we are far from the only people with this problem.
I'm starting to think there is a problem with the W7 system itself.
What I haven't seen is anything coming from MS and I don't know where I would post it anyway.
I need this cleared up. I need to install Office for my wife soon and can't have the system locking up on her.
Thanks for all of your help.
I'll continue to go crazy.
J

I thought I had it solved 2 weeks ago. I got one yesterday. I had Firefox opened then Windows Update started and Firefox froze, an update for Defender. I'm beginning to wonder if has something to do with Defender and Adobe Flash because there was an obnoxious Flash ad for Super Bowl when home page opened today and froze. I disabled Defender after that. What really sucks is there is nothing useful in event log. Years ago I had a problem with AVG freezing when cursor touched my download of XP SP2 or the row it was in. I've had trouble with Adobe crapware before confliction with antivirus software, Norton.
Joe

jst42daytoo:
I was looking through your posts and was unable to find any information regarding your motherboard manufacturer, model number, etc. Can you tell us what motherboard you are using?

I've got a Gigabyte EP45UD3RL, E8400, 4 G's memory that I just tested tonight-they passed, NVidia 8600 video card and Windows 7 Pro 32bit, version 6.1.7600 build 7600.
I have used Revo to uninstall Adobe Flash and Shockwave player, CCleaner to clean up after it, installed latest version of Flash and checked everything I know how to do. Which isn't much.
I've also used NIS 2010 full scans, Prevx3 scans and Hitman Pro scans. The pc is clean of infections.
One thing I have noticed is that this problem seems to be affecting quite a few pc's.
I suspect a system problem because of the different 'cures' people are trying and nothing seems to be a cure all.
Thanks for any help.
J

I've got a Gigabyte EP45UD3RL, E8400, 4 G's memory that I just tested tonight-they passed, NVidia 8600 video card and Windows 7 Pro 32bit, version 6.1.7600 build 7600.
I have used Revo to uninstall Adobe Flash and Shockwave player, CCleaner to clean up after it, installed latest version of Flash and checked everything I know how to do. Which isn't much.
I've also used NIS 2010 full scans, Prevx3 scans and Hitman Pro scans. The pc is clean of infections.
One thing I have noticed is that this problem seems to be affecting quite a few pc's.
I suspect a system problem because of the different 'cures' people are trying and nothing seems to be a cure all.
Thanks for any help.
J
The reason I asked is because some motherboards come with built in memory management utilities that support different types of overclocking. It seems that in some instances this feature is on by default, and if you are not doing any type of overclocking can cause symptoms similar to yours and just turning the feature off in the bios will sometimes solve the problem. I checked but couldn't find any details as to what features yours has. But I did notice that there is a very recent BIOS update on Gigabytes site for your board, as well as a not very old chipset driver. Not sure how much further you want to go with this but I would suggest, that in a lot of cases having the latest drivers and bios firmware for your hardware devices is generally a good idea, so I provided the link here GA-EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver but first I would suggest perhaps, looking into the bios configuration and see if there is any such built in memory management utility that you can turn on or off. I know on certain Asus motherboards it's called XMP mode, but I'm not sure if Gigabyte has it or what it's called, just some thoughts.

Trouble,
The BIOS are the same as when I put the pc together. There have not been any changing things around other than to be able to boot from cd as first boot option. The white screen of woe has started recently.
I installed the BIOS and driver updates. Thanks for the link.
It might take another day or two before I could tell if I still had any problems.
You said you didn't know how much further I wanted to go.
This pc isn't usable with an occasional white screen lockup/major slowdown.
What else should I do?
Thanks.
J

Trouble,
The BIOS are the same as when I put the pc together. There have not been any changing things around other than to be able to boot from cd as first boot option. The white screen of woe has started recently.
I installed the BIOS and driver updates. Thanks for the link.
It might take another day or two before I could tell if I still had any problems.
You said you didn't know how much further I wanted to go.
This pc isn't usable with an occasional white screen lockup/major slowdown.
What else should I do?
Thanks.
J
I just wasn't sure if you wanted to pursue the bios and chipset updates, you'd actually probably be suprised at how many people just decide to just put up with the problem and don't want to be bothered with some of the alternatives offered in these forums. Keep us posted and let us know if the updates worked or if the problems is still there.

The real frustration with this is it's erratic nature. I still think it's some kind of conflict with Adobe Flash and some security software. If you wait long enough the system does recover but there nothing useful in event log.
Joe

Back