A Need For Change

The Revelation

Direct3D 11

Multi-Threaded Rendering

Tessellation

Compute Shader And Texture Compression

Shader Model 5

Conclusion

While the article is a good read, I have to ask is it still accurate since this was written in 2008

Highwayman said:
While the article is a good read, I have to ask is it still accurate since this was written in 2008

If very shortly, yes it is a good read, and it is accurate for DX11 key aspects.

I posted this article because I found it rather comprehensive, structured and trustworthy, what tomshardware source is well known for. I accept your note for the date of this article, September 2008, almost 1.5 yrs, but I have also noticed that the majority of DX11 in-depth reviews were written in late 2008 or 2009, they often give credits to each other, and they look almost identical.

To compare:

Link Removed due to 404 Error was available as early as in 2008

Revealing The Power of DirectX 11 written in January 2009

Inside DirectX 11 was written in January 2010, but it's so short

The State of DirectX 11 - Image Quality & Performance was written in May 2010, it has a great overview of DX11 games performance, but it doesn't cover theoretical aspects as well as tomshardware's - the purposes of these articles are different.

How accurate:

the tomshardware article is accurate for the purpose of explaining key DirectX 11 features. However, some specific latest technical improvements are already being planned:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back