Windows 7 Optical drive replacement: An observation.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
When I originally built my current system, for the DVD RW, I opted for a 'LiteOn'. This was because I'd always found them to be good at what they did and firmware updating was a doddle. Unfortunately this particular drive was not so good. To be fair to LiteOn, I think it was just a case of recieving a duff drive off the assembly line. It's problems were varied and many, the tray wouldn't always open, it was very noisy, it often had problems reading disks (especially the secure rom type) and it just plain drove me up the wall. I tried many times to fix it and even flashed it with the same firmware hoping it would improve things. Why I didn't just RMA it I'm not sure but anyhow eventually enough was enough and I purchased a new drive. I'm now the proud owner of a Samsung Writemaster DVD RW which I chose after reading many reviews of many different drives. The installation went without a hitch but this is where we come to the really interesting part...
After I installed the drive, I did a little bit of testing to see how it ran and was pleasantly suprised. It wasn't until after using my machine for a while I started to notice how much more stable it had become. One example would be the game Hellgate-london. This game would crash to desktop, not often but it would do it all the same. I just put it down to drivers and some sort of software incompatibility as other games played fine (like crysis).. It's the same for other areas in my pc, little niggles I have had seem to have just disapeared. Can a faulty drive impact on a system in such a way? If so, I never realised how much components can effect one another (apart from the obvious of course).. Amazing..

If anyone can shed anymore light on this please post...:)

Back