Windows 8.1 oracle + Chrome OS

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I would like to see and use the Chrome OS before buying a Chromebook for my wife who is not pc literate. I am fair but know nothing about virtualization except it can help me accomplish my goal -with some advice.
I have provided a link which I think I can follow with the laptop by my side and installing the OS in my virtual machine on the desktop.
I have confused terms so cannot begin.
At the virtual box site I do not know if I should download Win or Linux as the host. I have a 64 bit machine with Win 8.1.
Could someone please coax me along slowly so I can run Chrome on the virtual machine?
If you know an easier way, I am open to suggestions.
Thank you
Peter

http://www.srccodes.com/p/article/2...os-oracle-vm-virtualbox-buy-google-chromebook

You pretty much solved this one on your own by linking that guide.
It gives detail instructions on how to install chromeOS in virtual box.
Sure it says its chromiumOS but chromiumOS is basically the same thing as chromeOS

Yeah the thing is that chromeOS is only for chromebooks (at this time) and is only shipped on chromeOS hardware (it is like how OSX is only sold on apple products)
ChromiumOS is basically the same thing but without some of the more proprietary bits (like netflix playback)
Both are based off of linux but its the front ends that are different mainly, one has chrome as its front end (thus the name chromeOS) and the other has its open source counterpart chromium as its front end.
So its more of a comparison of browsers and what they include as opposed to them being totally different things, here is some info on the differences between chrome and chromium:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

Both chrome and chromium have thier disadvantages and advantages as you can see, some will say that chromium is better as its open source, others will shay chrome is better as it comes with a flash player.
But in terms of chromiumOS vs chromeOS they are essentially the same except the browser front en they use.
So dont let experein ces in cromiumOS discourage you from buying a chromebbook, just understand that its just built a bit differently but no so differently its like jumping from windows to OSX or linux for that matter.

To answer your original question, you need to download the Windows version of VirtualBox since your HOST machine is running Windows. The OS you run in a particular VM is referred to as a GUEST OS, in this case Chrome.

To answer your original question, you need to download the Windows version of VirtualBox since your HOST machine is running Windows. The OS you run in a particular VM is referred to as a GUEST OS, in this case Chrome.

Yeah I got thrown off and thought he was confused on the difference between chrome and chromium, a very common question I see.

Yeah the thing is that chromeOS is only for chromebooks (at this time) and is only shipped on chromeOS hardware (it is like how OSX is only sold on apple products)
ChromiumOS is basically the same thing but without some of the more proprietary bits (like netflix playback)
Both are based off of linux but its the front ends that are different mainly, one has chrome as its front end (thus the name chromeOS) and the other has its open source counterpart chromium as its front end.
So its more of a comparison of browsers and what they include as opposed to them being totally different things, here is some info on the differences between chrome and chromium:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

Both chrome and chromium have thier disadvantages and advantages as you can see, some will say that chromium is better as its open source, others will shay chrome is better as it comes with a flash player.
But in terms of chromiumOS vs chromeOS they are essentially the same except the browser front en they use.
So dont let experein ces in cromiumOS discourage you from buying a chromebbook, just understand that its just built a bit differently but no so differently its like jumping from windows to OSX or linux for that matter.

@strollin - Thank you for clarifying that. It was stated a bit vaguely and I did not want to start on the wrong foot.

@Ralph - Thank you also for the link and clarification. Apparently there are many opinions about which is better. I now see that they are different not better. if I get the Chromebook it will have chrome which I have used. I prefer Firefox but after using any browser for a while you get to like it. Much of the chart was over my head but I did grasp some of it. As with anything you can't have it both ways. I am sure we will acclimate and enjoy Chrome.
Peter

@strollin - Thank you for clarifying that. It was stated a bit vaguely and I did not want to start on the wrong foot.

@Ralph - Thank you also for the link and clarification. Apparently there are many opinions about which is better. I now see that they are different not better. if I get the Chromebook it will have chrome which I have used. I prefer Firefox but after using any browser for a while you get to like it. Much of the chart was over my head but I did grasp some of it. As with anything you can't have it both ways. I am sure we will acclimate and enjoy Chrome.
Peter

Yeah well chrome OS is tied to chrome so no real chance of firefox :D

I will let you know of an easy way to install and Experience in its holistic brilliance.
1. Download Chromium OS and extract it on your computer without running it.

download-os.png

2. Open Virtualbox and click New, and select the type as Linux, and the version as Other Linux.

other-linux.png

3. Set the memory size to be at least 2 GB.

memory-size.png

317l74OleuL._AC_SL170_.jpg

EDUP Wifi Adapter Ac600Mbps Wireless Usb Adapter 5ghz /2.4ghz…
$13.99$15.99

31QajSVM3UL._AC_SL170_.jpg

ASUS Chromebit CS10 Stick-Desktop PC with RockChip 3288-C 2 GB…
$69.99$89.00

Ads by Amazon
4. Select “Use an existing virtual hard drive file” and select the file that we downloaded in the first step.

select-vdi.png

5. From the Virtualbox window, right click on the Chrome OS and click on Settings.

os-settings.png

6. Click on Network, and click on the small arrow next to Advanced.

advanced-arrrow.png

7. Make sure to select the network adapter as “Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)” and then click OK to save changes.

network-adapter.png

8. Run the Virtual machine that you just created, and from “Machine” menu click on “Disable Mouse Integration”, then select your language and keyboard style and press on Continue, just like the below screenshot.

disable-m-ouse-1024x775.png

9. Log in to your Google email account and then press Sign In, to start using of Chromium OS.

sign-in-1024x768.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have windows 10 but I am sure the same things apply.
I was going to try in Windows sandbox but realized that is virtual also.

I wanted to thank Ruskin and Ralph for all the work they did for myself and others to study. I realize the original date was 2013 but it is still helpful.

Back
Top Bottom