OSZ Agility/Vertex in ICY Dock mount, no detection (Supermicro x7dbu)

Rafuzed

Flashed the bios to something relevant.

I have two ssds to test, a vertex plus r2 and agility 3, both in ICY DOCK mounts. The front panel HDD lights flash a bit (though that probably doesn't mean much).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994083

Getting in the BIOS is a game, because it shows for about 2 seconds (!), but I found AHCI references in there. I enabled this, though still no HDD existence. Maybe it's something to do with the x7dbu motherboard... I haven't found anything related to x7dbu and ssds.

Edit:

Hm, maybe this is it:
Previous models were built a bit better. You need to make sure you manually seat the drive against the internal connector firmly. Don't count on the case mechanism to seat it fully when closing the case. My drive was not being detected and I realized the drive needed pushed a little bit more to get the solid connection in the case. All OK now.

Edit:
No, that was not it.

Edit:
It is most likely the ICY DOCK's fault.

Last edited:
It's probably the dock. This dock is 6Gbps as described, which means it's SATA III. Is your motherboard SATA III ready? But anyway, it should be backwards compatible. But the truth is, you don't really need an adapter to install an SSD into your computer. All you need is a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket so you can mount your SSD on 3.5" drive bays direct to the motherboard. Have you tried mounting your SSDs directly to the motherboard just to see if it works?

I just recently got a Vantec brand. Dual 2.5" drive external trays. Works like a charm!

IMAG2446.jpg

IMAG2447.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice.

I would, I have two Vantec mounts. The plugs are on the side though. I don't have cords to connect from the built-in position to something smaller.

What something smaller? You just need a regular SATA cable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WindowsForum mobile app

Oh, I mean something in the middle (like the SSD's). I suppose I could unplug the wires from the premade connector and plug it in manually, but the convenience of swapping out drives.. and they're in a precarious place :)

I was able to take the wafer out of the ICY DOCK, and plug it in manually. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom